Soaking driftwood

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
When soaking driftwood to remove tannins, does it help to change the water every 24/48 hours? The water right now has a very light coloration like a diluted scotch whisky after 24 hours. I can clearly see the bottom of the pale at 18 inches deep.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
When soaking driftwood to remove tannins, does it help to change the water every 24/48 hours? The water right now has a very light coloration like a diluted scotch whisky after 24 hours. I can clearly see the bottom of the pale at 18 inches deep.
The driftwood will continue to leach Tanins and could take months to yrs depending on what type and the size of the Driftwood.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Usually when I get rocks/driftwood, I boil it and that removes a lot of the tannins if not all, but those pieces are small and are able to fit all the way or halfway in a large pot.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Changing the water makes it easier to see what progress you are making; hopefully, with each change you will see it taking longer and longer to darken the water to the same degree, as the tannins are slowly leached out.

The bad news is that if your piece of wood changes the water colour to the extent you describe in only 24 hours, I suspect you will be waiting/watching/changing water for a long, long time before the leaching process begins to slow down much...

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I was actually very happy that I only got a slight tint considering the size of the wood, the last time I soaked wood it turned the water dark brown to the extent that I could not see the bottom of the container.

Pic below taken after around 36 hours. I will be changing the water after 48 hours to see any improvement.

The bad news is that if your piece of wood changes the water colour to the extent you describe in only 24 hours, I suspect you will be waiting/watching/changing water for a long, long time before the leaching process begins to slow down much...
Drift wood.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store