soft acidic water

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
was curious putting peat in a bag then dropping it in the tank help make the tank acidic and soft?

ALso distillted water adding that

brita filtered water or bottle water?

certain plants?

I try these for my gulper and killifish but the gulper got a new tank which is 4 feet long so its a bit harder now to keep his tank water soft our local water is so hard

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A bit of distilled or RO water can help lower hardness, boiling a lot of redbush tea and pouring the liquid into the tank helps give tannins which is a good antibacterial and slight softening substance :)

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Do you know how hard your water is? GH and KH? If not, what's your tank pH?

You really need to have a GH & KH test kit before trying to raise or lower the hardness and/or alkalinity of your water. Yes, tannic acids from peat and other substances will lower the hardness and the alkalinity, but in hard water, their not going to make a significant difference. Also, because water changes must be maintained, more tannins must be added at each water change. We're talking about a LOT of tannins here.

I know someone who had moderately hard water (pH was around 7.8 after aging 24 hours) who used to make around 5 gallons of 'peat tea' each week using a coffee maker (coffee urn I believe) and add that to his 75 gallon tank with each 75% weekly water change. I believe it lowered GH and KH about 4º each. TDS dropped around 150 ppm and pH dropped to 7.4.

You'd get the same drop in GH, KH and TDS as he did (4dKH, 4dGH, -150 tds) no matter how hard your water is if you mixed in the same ratio of 'peat tea' to water. But, with very hard water where your GH and KH may be 15º to 20º or higher, what's the point of going through all the trouble for 4º?

Tannins do have antifungal, antiparasitic, antibacterial and likely other beneficial properties which is a much better reason for adding them than trying soften your water imo. In some South American rivers tannins stain the water as dark as coffee. Fish have lived with these substances in the wild for millions of years, but tap water is completely void of them. This is why many fishkeepers .. especially those with SA softwater species ... add tannins to their tanks.

Tannins can also be made from nuts, cones, leaves and driftwood of hardwood trees (not evergreens). But, they MUST be picked from the ground in the Fall and NOT off the tree. (The tree removes substances you don't want in your tank from the leaves before they fall off.) You can collect and boil these to make tea. Search 'blackwater tanks' or 'blackwater amazon biotope'.

Also, take a look at this site to get an idea of the variety of sources of tannins.
https://tanninaquatics.com

To make soft water from hard water, you need to dilute the hard water with RO or RODI water. If you mix your water with RO or RODI water at a 1 : 1 ratio (half and half) then your GH, KH and TDS will be cut in half. It's that simple. If you mix 75% RO/DI water to 25% tap water then GH, KH and TDS are reduced to ~25%. You must have a GH & KH test kit to do this.

Distilled water is pure water so it would also work to dilute ... But using distilled water just isn't practical ... that's way too many one or five gallon jugs of distilled water.

What size tank are we talking about?

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tarheel96
I used to collect tons of fallen leaves every fall to soak to get enough tannins for tiny killifish tanks.
I'd fill 50 gallon barrels with leaf litter, and place some right in small tanks with the
breeder killifish. The leaves really didn't soften the water, and only brought pH down slightly, (from say 7.8 to 7.6). My primary aim was to get the anti-bacterial qualities of the tannins.
I'd also soak logs to get tannins.
But in reality, its probably better to just keep fish that are comfortable in your type tap water, rather than trying to change it.
The alkalinity of my tap was @100ppm so the calcium buffers would immediately neutralize the acids, maybe only dropping alkalinity to 60ppm.

A problem with adding DI or RO with trying to soften water, is that you then reduce the buffering capacity of the tank water to neutralize fish urine, and end up with changing more water more often, as a best case scenario.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I setup a 20 long for a Banjo Catfish but added Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, and a pair of Apistogramma about 3 wks ago but did a little research on using leaves and driftwood because of my water being hard and a bad experience in the past with Rams. Just like was stated by tarheel96 tarheel96 I tested my ph several times but nothing changed but not really concerned about making my water soft but to reap the other benefits the leaves and wood will provide as duanes duanes has stated for his Killi fish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I setup a 20 long for a Banjo Catfish but added Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, and a pair of Apistogramma about 3 wks ago but did a little research on using leaves and driftwood because of my water being hard and a bad experience in the past with Rams. Just like was stated by tarheel96 tarheel96 I tested my ph several times but nothing changed but not really concerned about making my water soft but to reap the other benefits the leaves and wood will provide as duanes duanes has stated for his Killi fish.

I am very fortunate to have Oak tree species in my backyard and would have liked to have known about using fallen Oak leaves and Hard wood a few yrs earlier.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
I had a 40 gal breeder setup for fish that needed soft acidic water and I even have the rodi unit. As time went on it became a slow time consuming pain in the derriere. I finally came to the conclusion it was best to pick fish that could thrive in the water I had coming out of my tap.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store