Solitary RBP? Or Mac?

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
Hi all

Looking to possibly get back into piranha keeping. I don't have the space or budget for a tank much bigger than probably 40-55 gallons. I was thinking of a solitary P with some really small dithers like neon tetras. Hoping I can keep the P well fed enough (no live feeding) that they leave these alone. Maybe a small pleco as well.

I really like the idea of a tank like this, would love to emulate it.

About 15 years ago I had 4 RBPs in a 65 long and it was a lot of fun. They reached about 9" before I ended up selling them. I think the tank was ultimately too small for them and they were extremely skittish. I know they're skittish by nature but I think in a bigger tank they wouldve been better.

Anyways, I would 100% just go for a gold spilo/mac but I've read a few posts here saying that solitary RBPs are actually quite calm and have some personality. I always thought the opposite of this would be true since they're schooling fish. I am open to either, a RBP would be much easier to get my hands on, and would grow a lot faster which would be nice, but I've also never had a Serra so the Mac would be cool too, plus I love the colours!

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
if you want a solitary pygo tank go for these species first...ternetzi, piraya or cariba. way better than nattereri/red belly. if you are set with the red belly as your pygo choice try acquiring super reds/wild caught. as far as serra specie you have more choices...manuelli, rhom, high back rhom, spilos, geryi, elongatus, etc...

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
Thank you, but was wondering what would be the pros/cons of solitary pygo vs serra? The only thing I know for sure is pygos grow faster.

In terms of being calm in the tank, good "wet pet", is there one over the other that would be better?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
A mac is going to be much more aggressive and probably have better interaction with you. You should be able to house a full grown in a 40g or 55g. The pygo will grow faster and I think red bellies get bigger than macs.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
how wide is your tank? it’s a 40g/50g breeder?

solo serra could be good, think there are some sanchezi

i glanced over aquascape’s inventory...

there’s not much....

i’m not sure who the other big p vendors are but might be slim pickings...

GL!

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
A mac is going to be much more aggressive and probably have better interaction with you. You should be able to house a full grown in a 40g or 55g. The pygo will grow faster and I think red bellies get bigger than macs.
Thanks, that's what I figured as well!

how wide is your tank? it’s a 40g/50g breeder?

solo serra could be good, think there are some sanchezi

i glanced over aquascape’s inventory...

there’s not much....

i’m not sure who the other big p vendors are but might be slim pickings...

GL!
Thank you! Yeah slim pickings now for sure. Might have to wait this one out for awhile.

Also haven't purchased the tank yet. I will get whatever is appropriate for a solo Mac. I think I have my mind made up. Or I could also get a smaller rhom I guess and they should be fine for a long time in a 40/55 since they grow so slowly.

This looks like it'll be a long term project unfortunately!

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store