Solo Fish 125g Suggestions (Not Cichlids, Maybe)

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Hello!

I have recently acquired a 125g acrylic tank. I had planned to use to for a school of angels/discus but am tossing the idea of a large solo fish around as I have yet to do this as a keeper.

I have been pouring over threads going back to about 2009 with the same subject and am seeing a lot of cichlid suggestions, really just not into Oscar's, jags, red devils flower horns etc. No shade they just dont float this boat.

I'd really like something that maxes out this space without being a detriment to the longevity of the animal. Plans for large volume auto changes as well are in place for tank setup.

I'd like to have the "bare tank with a solo arro look", long body, upper level activity, but I will not be able to upgrade and would also like this tank to be the final home for its resident.

If I can avoid live feedings that would be preferred, but not a deal breaker. Will be able to use RO for PH and Hardness control so I have a flexible range there.

The odder the better-er!

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
A catfish like a gulper. There are some larger barbs or tetras like the pink chalceus or flag tail.

Reactions: Raka and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Flagtails get to 12in+, would be the same as a big ol solo cichlid

Reactions: Raka

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Love the suggestions so far as all of these are new are relatively new too me! Hoplias, Afer Knife, and pink chalceus are right up my alley for something I would want to keep!

Flag tails are dope but I recently did a school of rummies that kind of fit the same aesthetic without the size obviously.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Some kind of spiny eel, tire track eel maybe? Or would those need a 180?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What are the dimensions on the 125?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I dont keep a Fahaka so I cant comment with any authority there. But the ones I do have (Hairy + Arrowhead) are very dependent on tank decor, not sure how a Fahaka would do bare tank. I know some puffers have a tendency to 'cruise the glass' if there is not enough decor to interact with.

The other thing is that some would argue that a 125 is not enough for an big, active puffer like the Fahaka. I have seen recommendations to use a standard 180g (6ft x 24 wide) for an adult Fahaka.

All that said, a Fahaka would definitely fit the bill for an "oddball" that has a ton of personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store