Some friendly shark discussion

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
Hi all, I am planning the setup of my shark tank. Either a marbled cat (atelomycterus macleayi) or a gray bamboo (chiloscyllium griseum) is what I am planning to get. I am looking for some friendly advice from an aquarist who has indeed kept these species or one similar and can give some first hand knowledge. I currently have a 155 gallon bowfront (though am planning on a 250+ the next few years) and a 75 gallon sump. The tank drains through two seperate 1.5 inch drains and into filter socks. Then baffled to a 250 gallon skimmer (planning on putting a 2nd next to it). Then baffled to a chamber of live rock with a small wavemaker for circulation. It is then baffled back to my 1800 gph pump which pumps it back to a "T" which then releases it back into the tank through two inlets. I will have a few live rocks in the corner of the tank to form a cave with about a 2" sand bed. I have an LED 72 inch light but I am planning to keep it only on blue light during the day with the addition of a shark. I would greatly appreciate any confirmation as well as any helpful advice. I'm not planning on getting the shark until well after the holidays so please keep the advice coming.
Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, I am planning the setup of my shark tank. Either a marbled cat (atelomycterus macleayi) or a gray bamboo (chiloscyllium griseum) is what I am planning to get. I am looking for some friendly advice from an aquarist who has indeed kept these species or one similar and can give some first hand knowledge. I currently have a 155 gallon bowfront (though am planning on a 250+ the next few years) and a 75 gallon sump. The tank drains through two seperate 1.5 inch drains and into filter socks. Then baffled to a 250 gallon skimmer (planning on putting a 2nd next to it). Then baffled to a chamber of live rock with a small wavemaker for circulation. It is then baffled back to my 1800 gph pump which pumps it back to a "T" which then releases it back into the tank through two inlets. I will have a few live rocks in the corner of the tank to form a cave with about a 2" sand bed. I have an LED 72 inch light but I am planning to keep it only on blue light during the day with the addition of a shark. I would greatly appreciate any confirmation as well as any helpful advice. I'm not planning on getting the shark until well after the holidays so please keep the advice coming.
Thanks!

Welcome aboard:)

I've kept both many years ago. The 155 will be cramped for the Marbled Catsharks in a year or so depending on the size of the pup. Filtration is by far the most important I suggest a good Skimmer also.. Keep your parameters stable at all times and never use any products that has Copper in it. Research thoroughly and and enjoy your Sharks.:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Btw your thread will probably be moved to the Marine section under Sharks and Rays.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have also kept both of those quite a few years ago. Great animals btw. Tank is going to be to small very quickly, as stated before. Skimmer is probably to small too. I've never tried running two skimmers not sure how'd that will or won't work, should be good. Both of mine grew pretty quick and took to eating with little problem. Mine were captive bred from captive bred parents not sure if that is the normal or not but seemed to work great. I had mine in a 300g Rubber maid tied into an already large salt system.

I'd say a uv sterilizer would be a good idea also. The breeder I got mine from highly recommended them with the sharks and didn't sell them so I trusted the advise.

Reactions: tlindsey

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
I have also kept both of those quite a few years ago. Great animals btw. Tank is going to be to small very quickly, as stated before. Skimmer is probably to small too. I've never tried running two skimmers not sure how'd that will or won't work, should be good. Both of mine grew pretty quick and took to eating with little problem. Mine were captive bred from captive bred parents not sure if that is the normal or not but seemed to work great. I had mine in a 300g Rubber maid tied into an already large salt system.

I'd say a uv sterilizer would be a good idea also. The breeder I got mine from highly recommended them with the sharks and didn't sell them so I trusted the advise.
Awesome thanks for the advice!

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
Welcome aboard:)

I've kept both many years ago. The 155 will be cramped for the Marbled Catsharks in a year or so depending on the size of the pup. Filtration is by far the most important I suggest a good Skimmer also.. Keep your parameters stable at all times and never use any products that has Copper in it. Research thoroughly and and enjoy your Sharks.:)
Hey sorry for late question, but after taking to forums for a few weeks in search of extra information on keeping sharks. I have found that many people have opinions on proper filtration but not many people confidently state the filtration methods they used for their species and whether or not it was successful. With that being said could you share the extent of the filtration you had when you kept these species? Thanks!

mobyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017

I would also appreciate if you shared as well, twentyleagues! Thanks!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I would also appreciate if you shared as well, twentyleagues! Thanks!
Well as I said it was tied into an already large system but I can say this....
1. I had a very large skimmer
2. Filter socks are a must
3. A ton of live rock
4. A large refugium helps.
Some other things I had, uv, and a large biopellet reactor. Are those needed no will they help probably.
Kept mine for about 2 years I had 3 sharks in total. Bamboo, epaulette, smooth hound shark. I had the bamboo the longest and the hound the shortest at about 6 months. At that point it had become such a production that it was causing issues with my wife so I got rid of all of it. It helped that the hound shark caused me to get 8 stitches in my hand. I' still unsure as to what exactly happened it didn't bite me but it did run the side of its head across my hand and next thing I knew I was bleeding. The bamboo was a great animal ate food from my hand super gentle liked to interact with me .

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey sorry for late question, but after taking to forums for a few weeks in search of extra information on keeping sharks. I have found that many people have opinions on proper filtration but not many people confidently state the filtration methods they used for their species and whether or not it was successful. With that being said could you share the extent of the filtration you had when you kept these species? Thanks!

Tbh I was fortunate to keep the Catsharks alive with 2 small wet/dry trickle filters but did wc's faithfully every week. I suggest you read some threads on Freshwater Ray filtration and get ideas from experienced Ray keeper members.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store