Some questions about trout fishing Or creek fishing in general

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
So I am not a trout fisherman but I have a creek that runs near my house that I like to fish at. Although Some questions do come to my mind when I JUST want to catch trout. So far, I only caught four species of fish in that creek, trout, chubs, white suckers, and one common shiner, Only once. Although my questions are this, what bait should I use to bypass all the other species so I could have the best chance at getting the trouts? Another questions of mine is, do minnows really work? If they did then I would question why chubs would live with them, I caught tiny chubs and trout out of the same area on the same day at around 5 minutes apart from each other. I tried using powerbait once, but never had any results. By the way the creek's dimensions are mud/sand bottom, up to maybe knee high, with some occasions of branches in the water, a bit swift but there are usually large pockets of slow current Or in general if anybody knows where halfway creek is located in holmen.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think by staying with artificials(lures) you would cut down on by catch. I would really encourage anyone to get into fly fishing, its a steeper learning curve but well worth it.

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I actually would learn fly fishing or actually use fly fishing, I know the basics and etc, but the creek I fish at has way too many trees around and too much obstructions around to do flyfishing. But could it be possible to cast a fly on a spinner? because I just use spinners with worms near my creek.

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I think by staying with artificials(lures) you would cut down on by catch. I would really encourage anyone to get into fly fishing, its a steeper learning curve but well worth it.
What would you recommend for trout? Biggest trout I seen was maybe 14inches brown.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So I am not a trout fisherman but I have a creek that runs near my house that I like to fish at. Although Some questions do come to my mind when I JUST want to catch trout. So far, I only caught four species of fish in that creek, trout, chubs, white suckers, and one common shiner, Only once. Although my questions are this, what bait should I use to bypass all the other species so I could have the best chance at getting the trouts? Another questions of mine is, do minnows really work? If they did then I would question why chubs would live with them, I caught tiny chubs and trout out of the same area on the same day at around 5 minutes apart from each other. I tried using powerbait once, but never had any results. By the way the creek's dimensions are mud/sand bottom, up to maybe knee high, with some occasions of branches in the water, a bit swift but there are usually large pockets of slow current Or in general if anybody knows where halfway creek is located in holmen.
you could DRIFT a fly on spinning tackle, that always gets monsters....

Trout only feed on the smallest creek chubs, Browns and Brooks eat a lot more fish than Rainbows, you can tell by the shape of their mouths.....

Small Fathead minnows and Rosy Red minnows are perfect for trout, fished on a size #14 hook with a size #B or #BB split shot 12"-18" above the hook. This rig is also perfect for Powerbait since it floats it will suspend the bait directly in front of the fish.

Roostertails, Spinners, tiny Bantam-weight Crankbaits also are great for skittish trout, like Rebel's Crickhopper or Teeny-wee Crawfish.

As far as live baits, I always bring a variesty to try out until I see what they are biting - waxworms, mealworms, red wigglers, nightcrawlers, fathead minnows, rosy reds, butterworms, powerbait, etc.

Use light line, maybe 2-4lb test so the trout can't see it very well and try to be as quiet and stealthy as possible

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Use big grasshoppers as bait.
If u feed the trout regularly u can get them to grow quite large if u do a catch and release program.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store