Some questions with my new guys

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Best to get them on pellets with fresh food more as a treat. Better for them long term. A happy/hungry piranha will eat just about anything. They are likely still stressed from the move. Piranhas will go on hunger strikes for some time after being transferred.
A fish that big can go quite some time before eating, it’s just up to you to have food ready when they do get hungry so they don’t eat each other.

Reactions: tlindsey

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
I trying with fresh fish and when I put it to the tank all the rbs they got scared and go to the corner until I take it out....
Did this happened to anyone else?
It was a bit scary first although....hahahahaha

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Piranhas are anything but the ravenous killers they are made out to be. Sure they can strip any animal to the bone, but they are a naturally skittish, nervous fish. Bright lights definitely don’t help, as their pupils don’t contract in bright light. They are adapted for darkness. You know how when you turn on a light at night and it hurts for a second, that is continuous for them in too bright a light. Keeping it dim will help them settle faster.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Piranhas are anything but the ravenous killers they are made out to be. Sure they can strip any animal to the bone, but they are a naturally skittish, nervous fish. Bright lights definitely don’t help, as their pupils don’t contract in bright light. They are adapted for darkness. You know how when you turn on a light at night and it hurts for a second, that is continuous for them in too bright a light. Keeping it dim will help them settle faster.
You think it's to much the 24watt or mutch the hours?
Many times I think blue light I don't know what you set?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Based on the pics, the center of the tank is bright, but the edges are pretty good. It doesn’t look like a lot of cover though. I’d get some floating plants and caves for them to hide in when feeling insecure. The floating plants would also help to dim it.
I just had regular fluorescent bulbs with my piranha, but didn’t run them much.

Reactions: tlindsey

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Guys you are very helpful thanks from tonight I will run the light for just 3 4 hours daily and maybe find a floating plant to ad.
I was having caves and deco when I was only had 2 rbs but now I take it off because of the mass that happens any time that those 2 was eating and now that I have 6 it would be so hard for bottom cleaning every week.

You have any ideas about floating plants to not require special care and treatment?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hornwort is pretty much bulletproof and doesn’t need much besides water and some light. It grows fine with minimal light in my tanks. Bonus is that it pulls nitrates out of the water. Only tank I don’t have it in is the one with silver dollars and a severum…no plants survive there.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Good suggestions above.
Tho I'd try to reduce the wattage of the bulb and try to place the bulb at a corner. And maybe add some driftwood . Cause from what I know piranha like dark murky water with lots of cover.
GL?

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Okkkk friends thnx for all I see this plant and I will take it next week as I see doesn't need anything to plant but only light.
I see it something like natural filter also.
Thnx again all of you

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store