something fishy afoot

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Well hmm I'm stumped, give it a few days and maybe it will get better or more symptoms will present themselves. Or someone better equipped to figure this out.

thesundancekid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Well hmm I'm stumped, give it a few days and maybe it will get better or more symptoms will present themselves. Or someone better equipped to figure this out.
ok:(
i scoured forums and nothing seemed to fit, im just really worried, i’ve grown surprisingly attached to my fish children, and waffles was the whole reason why i got into this hobby, i truly hope it’s nothing

nevertheless- thank you for your time and help, i’ll let you know what’s up in a few days hopefully

Last edited by a moderator:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Perform the aquarium tests again and post the results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as pH if you have it. I also suggest keeping a written record of the test results so that you can see if there are any changes or if you run into any problems.

How long has this tank been set up? The reason I ask is that on a cycled tank there should be some level of nitrate above zero.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
my bad, i’ve been keeping it around 78, i had it down to 75 at one point when i had two baby koi before moving them. Waffles loved it, but the ryukin seemed a bit cold
Well that blows my theory about it being a little too cold for your eel

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is not nothing by any means.

Your fire eel is covered in sores, big and small.

I don't observe any filter on your tank? Nor a strong bubbler? How is your tank set up?

Fish don't get sick for no reason. We keep the water right, the fish keep themselves and usually heal themselves in good water. Something in your setup and your husbandry is very wrong and we need to troubleshoot to find it.

A weekly "deep clean" too gravely concerns me. This may easily be a harmful practice.

Tests always near perfect? Post your water parameters in ppm, by an API test tube kit. Words will not help us help you, nor help your fish. I recommend using a test tube of known ammonia free water for reference against your ammonia test instead of the color chart, if the ammonia amount is 0.25 ppm or less.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I agree we need actual hard data .
Test results. Maintenance, filtration.
What is you tap water? How does it test out?

I also see a parrot.
As for the frayed fins they can be aggressive and nippy.
Have you witnessed anything from the parrot?
You may need to set back from the tank and just observe for a while.
Usually if something is going on you won’t witness it by walking up to the tank the picking stops because the fish go into feed mode.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store