Sometimes an idea doesn't work out...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Usually I troll the internet for ideas on tank care and combine it with what I call "logical use." So anyway months ago I went on the King of DIY and saw his information on using cheaper filter floss. Fast forward to me ordering on ebay a five pound bag of polyfill (no chemicals) for like 9 bucks. So I'm thinking COOL, inexpensive water polishing indefinitely!!!

Not. :thumbsdow

Put some wads in the filters over the ceramic bio media. Disaster! Tiny particles of polyfill going everywhere in the water! Removed it asap and looked at it closely. Seems as though the fibers were too short! So instead of filtering particles they became particles themselves and floated everywhere. My fish were irritated in the gills until I could clear the water. So that idea blew up quickly.

I'll be ordering some polyfill specifically for aquariums. Lesson learned. Meanwhile I've got 3 cubic feet of batting sitting in a bag...probably will donate the stuff.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Damn that sucks to hear... glad your fish are okay but still sounds like you may need to keep an eye on them for a little while...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Damn that sucks to hear... glad your fish are okay but still sounds like you may need to keep an eye on them for a little while...
It's all good...this happened back in January. Good thing I was near the tank and saw the stuff flying. So I shut down the filters and did a large w/c.

Reactions: Fat Homer

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
i buy my polyfill from walmart. big bag for less than $8. never had any issues.

maybe you got some chinesium polyfill?

Reactions: celebrist

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
i buy my polyfill from walmart. big bag for less than $8. never had any issues.

maybe you got some chinesium polyfill?
Entirely possible. What brand is Walmarts?

As you can see the Ebay fiber I ordered is unbranded. In the closeup pic of the fibers you can see how easily they shed. It's extremely soft but the texture is all 'mushy' and it breaks apart to tiny pieces. I'll donate it to someone that needs to stuff a couch...it sure won't be going into my tanks.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
yea i would definetly would not trust unbranded polyfil. wouldnt risk my fish.

this is what i buy.. 100% polyester mat. cut it to size and use it in my canisters and HOBs.

gonna double check when i get home but im 99% sure thats the exact stuff i buy

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store