Sourcing Weld-on #40 to repair a damaged acrylic tank

stratelespaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2021
Noob here and just read through all 24 pages.
Getting back into the hobby after 8 years without so much as a Betta.
A friend gave me a 187g acrylic (72"Lx20"Wx30"H) with much bottom(base)damage from a botched drill out for a sump.
My plan is now (after reading all this) is to patch the holes inside and out with WO 40 as well as use the pour method on the seams.

The holes are currently patched inside and out with 1/8" plexi using WO 16 and all seems well but, now I want to try the 40 just so I feel a little safer.
Thanks to all who contributed to this very informative thread.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Noob here and just read through all 24 pages.
Getting back into the hobby after 8 years without so much as a Betta.
A friend gave me a 187g acrylic (72"Lx20"Wx30"H) with much bottom(base)damage from a botched drill out for a sump.
My plan is now (after reading all this) is to patch the holes inside and out with WO 40 as well as use the pour method on the seams.

The holes are currently patched inside and out with 1/8" plexi using WO 16 and all seems well but, now I want to try the 40 just so I feel a little safer.
Thanks to all who contributed to this very informative thread.
Welcome! If you will, share your project with all of us in a dedicated thread. We'll be delighted to see, learn from you and with you, and help along per need.

Yes, I'd not be easy with WO16 either. It's too light duty. You don't want 150 gal of water on your floor in 1 minute for sure.

stratelespaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2021
Welcome! If you will, share your project with all of us in a dedicated thread. We'll be delighted to see, learn from you and with you, and help along per need.

Yes, I'd not be easy with WO16 either. It's too light duty. You don't want 150 gal of water on your floor in 1 minute for sure.
Will do. Thanks for the welcome.
Right now my issue is trying to find WO40 in my budget range.
Got a couple of pints on my "feepay" watch page but, it's still pricey.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have been buying 4 gal at a time from Interstate Plastics, California at around $600 delivered. IDK if they sell smaller quantities, maybe not.

Reactions: stratelespaul

stratelespaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2021
I have been buying 4 gal at a time from Interstate Plastics, California at around $600 delivered. IDK if they sell smaller quantities, maybe not.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually live only about 8 miles from them and they say on their site that I can get 12 pints and 4 gallons for $327.60!!!
Sounds too good to be true but, I'll call them tomorrow during business hours and get the details and report my findings.
Best to all

stratelespaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2021

These are the cheapest I've found...so far.
Still looking but, these prices beat "feepay" offerings.
Update:
Interstate plastics only deals with companies so, the average Joe not associated with the industry can't get in on the deal.
For those of you in the "business", I hope this is still a good lead for you.
Best to all

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I could ask my sales rep if he could sell you under my Company name. They tend to deal with larger quantities though.

stratelespaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2021
I could ask my sales rep if he could sell you under my Company name. They tend to deal with larger quantities though.
Thanks for the consideration but, I think I'm gonna go with the engineer guy to keep things simple.
I would think this stuff would be more common, affordable and as available as the #3,4 & 16 but, there I go "thinking" again lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store