Sp. Venezuela pair video

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thanks guys, yes just the four silver dollars in there with them. The tank is very active with these fish, the SD's are pretty good fast tank mates and the pikes don't bother them.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Do they bother each other or the SDs at all?

The more I see pike cichlids the more I want one in the future. They seem interactive like "normal" cichlids can be but with that unique body shape.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The male bullies the female a bit, you can kind of see her tail was a little torn in the video. He has stopped biting her now though, he will just flare up at her and chase her around. She usually will go and hide in the plant or above the piece of wood at the top when he does this. Her tail is healing, and overall they live pretty well together. They beg for food together, and swim around together a lot.
They pretty much ignore the silver dollars, sometimes they get frisky and chase them around. But the silver dollars are too tall to eat, so I'm thinking they should be safe. I first tried some SD's which were a little smaller, they became snacks.
I really like the pike cichlids. I had a huge 14"+ Johanna in the past which was one of my favorite fish. These Venezuelans are more active than my Johanna was, but both species would beg for food and swim around when they were hungry.

Reactions: Jexnell and magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store