Spawning: Redhook (Myleus Rubripinnis) Luna variant

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I had a surprise spawning on my tank of some redhooks (myleus rubripinnis) I have recently acquired. Some specs to document it.

Tank – 6ft x 2.5ft x 2ft (LWH) on a small shed with fake grass and fine garnet sand. This was my temporary tank for maintenance or hospital tank.

Specimen – 9x specimen - 5xlikely female (straight hooks) 4xmales (some bump on the hooks)

Tankmates – None, but I have some shrimps, trumpet and apple snails there

Size – 25-30cm about an inch thick with nice colourful patches. Males are the smaller ones and have deeper coloured red chest and black on their hooks.

Age – unknown, most likely 5+ years

Lighting – small 3ft stingray led but not turned on all the time. It’s dark as they are on my shed with just sun hitting the window as their light

PH – 7

Filter – 2x Eheim 2080

Temp – 24-30 degrees Celsius (drops 2-3 degrees during water change)

Water change – Weekly 30-50% of tank water

I’m not into breeding, but it just happened. I was redecorating my bichir tank and had to separate them to fit my wood in. Before separating, they started to do the breeding dance – eggs are scattered with other fish feasting on the eggs. I do have a video, but I’m not sure how to upload – if someone wants to help me add on to this post, just send me a pm and I’ll email you the file. Eggs are small round about 1mm in size. First time I saw fry was when they are about 1cm – they are torpedo shape – similar to bichir fry but swim around. The fry stay mostly at the bottom and some are floating with the current midway to top of the tank. Fry don’t look like a disc shape. It’s about a month now, and I can only see a few – majority may have not survived or had been sucked by my filter – need to buy a prefilter for next time.

I’ll add more info on how the babies are progressing and hopefully another batch to come. For now, I’m happy to see them developing. If you have ideas to help to maintain the survivors and keep them alive, I’m looking forward on hearing it from you.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store