Species ID Please

Okinawahai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Got this guy a few weeks ago. This is my first snakehead so it's hard for me to identify it. I moved to Japan so there is a language barrier at the LFS which prevents me from having any conversation with the staff. Thoughsearch I'm guessing it may be a gachua or a rainbow ? I'd like to know because I'd like to get it a buddy in the future and from what I read they don't tolerate other species. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jmahn

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
Looks like a rainbow to me juvenile of course can't advise on getting a buddy as havent keep them before hope i can one day

Reactions: Okinawahai

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Guessing pulchra.

Okinawahai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply! It's the most enjoyable fish I've owned so far. I've had all freshwater tropiccal community tanks in the past, African cichlids, piranha and this guy is intelligent and has a lot if personality. Very happy with it!

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
Pulchra prob more accurate looks lovely though

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I agree on pulchra. I used to have a group of 8. Amazing fish to keep. Highly recommend to keep these species if you live in a country where they are legal. I have an breeding pair of C. Asiatica atm

Okinawahai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Nice, the LFS's here sell snakeheads regularly which is pretty awesome so would I be safe to introduce another pulchra of same size? I'm not particularly interested in a breeding pair but I'm open to it. Also what temps were you running for summer/winter? I'm currently at 26c and plan on turning down to around 20 once winter comes around. From what I read they seem to tolerate a wide range of temps.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Nice, the LFS's here sell snakeheads regularly which is pretty awesome so would I be safe to introduce another pulchra of same size? I'm not particularly interested in a breeding pair but I'm open to it. Also what temps were you running for summer/winter? I'm currently at 26c and plan on turning down to around 20 once winter comes around. From what I read they seem to tolerate a wide range of temps.
Im not experienced enough to say if you can introduce an specimen at the same size. I bought a group of 10 lost 2 the first week or two then i had the rest until they started to pair up then i lost 4 more in a week before i sold them and got the asiatica pair instead wich is easier for me in my fishroom where i have 26c all year around.

When i kept pulchra i had the water around 23c exept for a colder period for 2 months at 18c.

My pair of C. Asiatica i keep in 26c all year around since they are a tropical species. Pulchra is sub-tropical.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store