sperata acicularis or aor .. pics please

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I have kept an aor, when smaller than 12" you can expect 2" a month growth rate, even if fed on alternate days.

I have found them to be very aggressive towards both bottom dwellers as well as mid level swimmers as well.

Will hide most of the time, but when it's feeding time will actively swim around the tank in search of food.
His tank mates are all big fish..Bass..ATF..RTGG.. Any experience with this catfish and big fish like that??

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
His tank mates are all big fish..Bass..ATF..RTGG.. Any experience with this catfish and big fish like that??
Mine lived with 14"+ pbass and bigger mahseer, moved the aor out when he started messing with the bass.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
So yours did try for the bass.. I guess I'll see eventually
These are like most bagrids, they will bite and tear fins and as well as remove scales, they can do a lot of damage in a single night.

This its best rehomed at the first sign of trouble.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yeah, I'd say Dave's looks chunky.

All my experience is described here https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/three-sperata-allegedly-aor-from-ray-chan.688114/ I am about to update the thread soon with a couple videos. No big changes.

Mine have been with these tank mates in 240 gal and in 4500 gal and had no problem but mine are still small, about 2'-2.5'. I find Jib's info interesting but we all know every tank differs, however much or little. IDK if mine are aor or acicularis. Mine have a huge problem with themselves and the only other fish I noted them to bother regularly has been piraiba, but never bitten off fins or some such, probably bitten off extensions, tattered fins, a slight abrasion of a bite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store