spiny eels

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
i went to live aquaria and this is what they said "The Fire Eel should be kept with fish of similar size or larger, and will not tolerate its own kind."

so does this mean i can't keep fire eels with tire track eels or i just can't keep them with other fire eels?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
That I do not know, I have only kept one at a time. I hope someone else here can answer for you.

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
so i can keep them with other species of spiny eels right?

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
IVE SEEN LIKE 50-100 GAL. TANKS WITH SEVEN TO TEN FIRE EELS ALL LIVING TOGETHER IN A NATURAL LOOKING HABITAT.

oops. did mean to put in all caps.

And i kept two fire eels, three tire tracks, one zig zag, like a dozen peacock eels in a kiddypool in my garage.

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Fire eels can usually live together o.k.,but more than one tire track or tire track and fire eel together usually ends up in harassement until one dies,unless tank is so big they can have own territories.Size difference between both above and peacock eel means peacock eel should be kept with neither.That said all fish have different temperaments so it is not impossible,just unlikely.Nativelovers eels would have worked simply because of high numbers confusing agression.

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
so in a 125gallon with other fish(see profile) can i keep 1fire eel and 1tire track eel?

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
I kept one of each in an 8x2x2 and the tire track hounded the fire eel.He was removed but died shortly after.With any risky combination you would have to have somewhere else to remove one to.I have heared from many people that keep both in smaller areas with no probs.One of those that cannot be definitely answered either way.

snogard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2005
TUCSON, AZ
yep it goes down to individual. to some it works to some its a disaster. i currently have my fire-eel with my tire track, moray, and peacock. They've been tankmates for about 6months now. so far so good.
i'm planning of getting a couple more fire' and track in the future
snogard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store