Split down the middle african butterfly fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I keep my water level rather high but I have some of those cheap, fake, rainbow puke, plastic plants in quarantine I used for them so I’ll move them over.
Let me ask you, would one have to hit the lid at an angle for the line to be straight down the back? It would seem to me that if one of them hit a straight edged object and it did cause this to happen the area where struck would have the line. I however have no areas where it could hit a straight edged surface.

Just saw twenty leagues post, I’ll lower the water surface as well next water change.
I’d imagine the hit would be one side but hard to say. Can’t say for sure as the fish will need to be dissected then prove injury/inflammation.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’d imagine the hit would be one side but hard to say. Can’t say for sure as the fish will need to be dissected then prove injury/inflammation.
Well I’m certainly not going to kill them to dissect them, do you think that any possible injury would still be visible upon natural death?

Also I took another look at my lids and I actually do have a few places where one could hit a straight edge. I’m definitely going to lower the water level now.

Reactions: twentyleagues

mantisfan101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2019
The color edge might indicate a bilateral gynandromorph aka a fish that’s literally half male half female. I’ve seem it sometimes with insects and spiders but never with fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I would expect them to be much rarer and given that I have 2 I doubt it but then again I don’t know anything about it. I appreciate your input though.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
you still got these? looking for inspiration for the four i have that are semi - homeless

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Not sure, I’ve never had much luck keeping african butterfly fish alive long term and I’m down to 4 at the moment. I’ll see if they’re any of the 4 left.

Reactions: dr exum

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
After watching mine for a longer period it seems the bicoloration is common. The one I have left if stressed or excited will change color like this half will be darker half light.

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store