Sports and fitness 2021

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That read like a good quality ad, well done.

It looks like a $200-$300 piece of equipment to my untrained eye. Have you considered pushing past 5k and seeing if you can get it up to 10k? See a bit of what hell laid in wait for those who were late for a third time :popcorn:.

I also would like to thank you, I’ll be keeping this machine in mind for future uses.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I do a bit of running. I'm an ultra marathoner actually. I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of my femur at the knee joint in late March, and was unable to run for 3 months. In that time I did a lot of core work (200 sit ups a day) and upper body free weights. I have been back to running for a little over a month now and am averaging about 50 miles a week (far from my 70-80 mile weekly average). I am 5' 11'' and weighed 184 lbs today. That is a bit heavy for me so I plan to drop 10-15 lbs before my next 100 mile race on September 18th.

Side note, I broke my small toe last Saturday so I can't run until this weekend, but I will be running 20 miles of trails with about 3000' of gain on Saturday.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That read like a good quality ad, well done.

It looks like a $200-$300 piece of equipment to my untrained eye. Have you considered pushing past 5k and seeing if you can get it up to 10k? See a bit of what hell laid in wait for those who were late for a third time :popcorn:.

I also would like to thank you, I’ll be keeping this machine in mind for future uses.
I have not attempted 5k since i started using it again. The one time i had to do 5k was after a 2 hr weight training and conditioning workout, and even as a young athlete it took me over an hour. At that point youve crossed over from exercise to sado-masochism.

The basic model runs around 2500 usd without shipping i believe. Theyre actually pretty rare to find in gyms now but the well equipped clubs usually have one hidden away in a corner in barely used condition.

Good luck with your climbing fishhead!

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I do a bit of running. I'm an ultra marathoner actually. I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of my femur at the knee joint in late March, and was unable to run for 3 months. In that time I did a lot of core work (200 sit ups a day) and upper body free weights. I have been back to running for a little over a month now and am averaging about 50 miles a week (far from my 70-80 mile weekly average). I am 5' 11'' and weighed 184 lbs today. That is a bit heavy for me so I plan to drop 10-15 lbs before my next 100 mile race on September 18th.

Side note, I broke my small toe last Saturday so I can't run until this weekend, but I will be running 20 miles of trails with about 3000' of gain on Saturday.
Sorry to hear about the injury. I know how frustrating that is when you enjoy running. But just the prospect of 70 miles a week sounds killer to me.

My longest loop is a hilly 6 miles, half asphalt half trails, which i complete in around 45 minutes once a week. At 260 lbs thats about as long as i can keep a good pace before my cartilage starts grinding. I'll usually run about ten miles more throughout the week in shorter runs if i have the time.

Ive all but shut down running in cold weather, less than 40-50 f, as i find it devastating to my body. But ive been enjoying the heat lately.

Reactions: robmcd

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Sorry to hear about the injury. I know how frustrating that is when you enjoy running. But just the prospect of 70 miles a week sounds killer to me.

My longest loop is a hilly 6 miles, half asphalt half trails, which i complete in around 45 minutes once a week. At 260 lbs thats about as long as i can keep a good pace before my cartilage starts grinding. I'll usually run about ten miles more throughout the week in shorter runs if i have the time.

Ive all but shut down running in cold weather, less than 40-50 f, as i find it devastating to my body. But ive been enjoying the heat lately.
That is a solid pace!! Keep it up, every little bit helps.

I train in any temp from 20F to 95F. We can't pick the temp on race day so I just dress and exert myself accordingly. I've been in races as warm as 108F, and things get very strategic as far as your race plan goes.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018

Am I hearing this correctly, you can run a straight 100 mile race? If so wow, I can barley run that much in a week if I double but I don’t try to get mileage that high.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
I've embraced full lumberjack mode since I was down last summer for medical reasons. So far since Rona started I've dropped at least 7 trees over 70 feet tall and 25" plus wide at the base.

Need less to say moving the firewood has been one heck of a workout. I call it the log walk... times too many reps.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Am I hearing this correctly, you can run a straight 100 mile race? If so wow, I can barley run that much in a week if I double but I don’t try to get mileage that high.
Yes, I do it 2 or 3 times a year during a regular year, this year I'll be lucky if I am able to run in one event for the rest of the year. Running that far isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy the challenge and the pain. I'm weird like that.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Back in the gym for a couple weeks now. Definitely lost some of my snap these last few months. Working my way back up gradually though.

I wanted to share a little bit about my favorite exercise machine, the versaclimber. You know, this thing:

View attachment 1426823

To those unfamiliar with it, the versaclimber is perhaps the most intense cardio machine ever devised. Its a remarkably simple machine, gears roll along a chain in a reciprocating motion, and you can alter the resistance by adjusting the chains tension.

I was first acquainted with it in college, where it was used by my strength coach as a deterrent for being late to workouts. First time you were late, you had to do 2000 ft after the workout, the second time, 5000, the third time...well no one knows because no one was ever late after having to do the 5000.

I started voluntarily using it when i joined my current gym 3 years ago. At the time, i was having difficulty with joint and lower back pain, which was making my preferred cardio method, running, very strenuous and was even affecting my work. I started doing 1000 ft as quickly as i could as a warmup for free weights, but soon found myself building special workouts around 2000-2500 ft stints on the VC. I found it returned a much needed spring to my step, and even improved my running form so that i wasn't pounding on my knees and ankles so much. It also tightened up previously flabby parts of my body, and noticeably enhanced muscular stamina.

The versaclimber is low impact, but gets your heart beating quicker than anything else. And when used correctly, a stroke on the versaclimber will work nearly every muscle in your body. As i noted before, it is not for the faint of heart, its for those who enjoy an intense burn of a workout.

Im currently on the lookout for a used one to put in my home. New ones are on the stupid side of the money spectrum.
That thing looks like hell. I can relate to the pain. I'm a cyclist and going up anything close to a 15% gradient, and there are a few round where I live, would, I imagine be very similar to the leg work needed on that climber. Thing is you have intense arm work too, me going up my hills, not so much. Cardio wise though, very similar. Kudos to you.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK

You are very very modest sir. "I do a bit of running. I'm a ultra marathoner actually" . Lol.

My main thing is cycling, far easier on the joints at my age (52). I used to do a bit of running but it was just "a bit". I packed it in though after my achilles flared up once. I couldn't ride my bike for a month then. Even though I had the "proper" running shoes I felt I could never run comfortably if that makes sense. I always felt awkward, maybe it was because I was that used to the position on a bike.

Respect to you for the ultras, they're insane.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store