spousal abuse

CichlidKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Connecticut
I have a breeding pair of convicts, but between matings the male beats the heck out of the female. This last time I had to separate her because he was being so vicious. they are only about 2" each, and I have them in a twenty long. Should I just get ride of one of them perminently.
Honestly, I think my male might be inbred or something, I have never seen this in any of my other breeding pairs of cons.

Doviiking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
New Jersey
send it to me i'll feed it to my black rhom

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
when my pair were alone, it would happen occasionally. once the female got it really bad, but after that time she would usually chase the male. just keep a divider on hand and split the 20 if necessary.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Yeah my males go on little rampages in between batches of fry too. Do what I did and buy yourself a penalty box (net breeder? I think it is called). When the male gets crazy put him in there for a few days and that will cool him down. Works every time for me.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
that's basically an indication that the tank is too small. as we all know, temperament and aggression will vary from fish to fish. some pairs will be fine in a 20 long for quite a while and others (like yours) will need a larger tank much sooner. if you can't move them to a larger tank then it would probably be best to get rid of one or the other. the aggression will definitely only get worse as the fish get bigger. :)

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
"I thought I told you to shut up woman!" "SLAP" -Alabama Man

croc 2-3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
PA
that's basically an indication that the tank is too small. as we all know, temperament and aggression will vary from fish to fish. some pairs will be fine in a 20 long for quite a while and others (like yours) will need a larger tank much sooner. if you can't move them to a larger tank then it would probably be best to get rid of one or the other. the aggression will definitely only get worse as the fish get bigger. :)
All he has to do is some dithers that are fast enought o swim away so the males attention is spread out. so fast barbs will be ok once convicts start breeding the energy usually stops or slows extremely for growth. If you want a 6 inch convict don't ever breed it that's what I did. But I had a 8 inch managuense kill 3 females 2 were about 3 inches bigger then him then I got a baby & with a divider raised up until he got used to her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store