Sprinkler or lawn pump for water changes???

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
Has anyone rigged up a larger pump for draining their tanks and pumping outside to gardens, lawns, etc?

I have been looking at pumps to make changing water from 300s more timely and use the water around the house.

I am in the middle of a remodel and have access to the walls and exterior of the house through the wall between the soon to be fish room and the garden. I could easily add 3/4" or 1" hose going through the wall outside to a hook up.

Looking at 1/2hp to 1 hp pumps that can push water through a hose outside, hoping to set myself up to drain and fill 300s quickly yet safe.

Any suggestions or ideas? No sump pumps, power heads, or pond pumps. Just dipping a hose with pvc attachment in each tank, not an entire pump.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Has anyone rigged up a larger pump for draining their tanks and pumping outside to gardens, lawns, etc?

I have been looking at pumps to make changing water from 300s more timely and use the water around the house.

I am in the middle of a remodel and have access to the walls and exterior of the house through the wall between the soon to be fish room and the garden. I could easily add 3/4" or 1" hose going through the wall outside to a hook up.

Looking at 1/2hp to 1 hp pumps that can push water through a hose outside, hoping to set myself up to drain and fill 300s quickly yet safe.

Any suggestions or ideas? No sump pumps, power heads, or pond pumps. Just dipping a hose with pvc attachment in each tank, not an entire pump.

Yes there are members who have setups like this duanes duanes .

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have done this for my every other day water changes.
I can usually send about 300 gallons to the garden in about 15 mins.
All my tanks (usually around 20) are connected to either 3 or 4 sumps.
When I close a valve to a sump, instead of water going from sumps to tanks, the old water is sent to the garden, pond, or lawn, utilizing the pump power running in the sump.
The PVC in house is permanent, and much of it outside is also permanent, although some connections are not in case water needs to be diverted elsewhere.
1st shot, the main valve on a 2" line

PVC line direct to garden

if the garden is saturated water can be diverted thru rain barrels to the

above a 1/2" line running out a window to the front yard

Reactions: tlindsey

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
Using your filter sumps to do water changes, that's smart.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do that, I need suction from a separate pump to use on multiple tanks, as some tanks aren't filtered by sumps.

So I need a pump designed to pull from water sources and push through hoses or pipes

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I use a 710gph submersible pump hooked to a Neverkink 3/4" hose for my wc's. Makes pretty short work of draining the 240g tank. The pump can be found on ebay for about $25 so it not only works well but if very affordable. I think I paid twice as much for my Neverkink hose as I did for the pump lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store