SRD Flowerhorn Grow out

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Edit: I had half typed following reply some time ago, I am not implying anyone does this, just sharing my thoughts on what few can do.

OP has good fish and enjoying the fish is more important. I had red dragons which didn't have most desirable traits but were beloved.

Original reply:
Naturally no food can do more than genetics.

The things that actually make difference and which I don't support at all are carophyll pink and hormones. Carophyll pink us just synthetic version of Astaxanthin. Naturally produced Astaxanthin is not as concentrated or cheap as synthetic. If you feed a lot it makes a difference. Hormones, this bit is very tricky, I heard from a US based breeder that Thailand based breeders use estrogen, I purchased a paper on hormonal control of nuchal hump in midas, in their experimenting they failed to induce hump through many hormones except HCG which they and I believe caused a feedback loop causing fish to produce more hormones. Now if other forms of mild estrogen that's used medically can do same then it's cheap to add those.

There are certain things I am not sure of but would like to talk about. Fish are seasonal breeders, environmental changes dictate the season to them and fish in favorable breeding conditions show better attractive traits, like for few fish it's hump and colors, I believe that's why high temperature causes better colors and hump, and may be high protein has similar effect. I believe other breeding favorable conditions would do the same.

Last edited:

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Decided that i’m not updating this post anymore, found that it’s taking away from the actual enjoyment of raising my FH. So am just getting out of it now.

No hard feelings, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just want to enjoy the progression and growth of my FH in peace now.

Appreciate all that have gave me constructive tips regarding his care and complements. See ya mfk!
I think you misunderstood few things. You have a nice fish but given this, I replied appropriately

Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts regarding quality and potential of this fish. Thanks!
I posted few years about my red dragon on which I had spend all my pocket money at that time, and he wasn't a very looking one. Sorry it is what it is.

I think you misunderstood what AlphaTintu AlphaTintu said about colors. I don't think he implied those colors were not natural. Certainly I have seen natural darker colors than that and are completely possible.

Good to see that we were of some help regarding food choices and quantity. Personally MFK is a great resource, flowerhorns section on MFK isn't, I spend significant time reading general section and there are few good posts there.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
How one enjoys and feels about their fish is completely up to them. Op, members just gave there opinion and feedback on the quality and potential of fish exactly as you asked. Back and forth discussion and some disagreement is normal on this forum. That is how people form there opinions and potentially learn from others if they want too. No ones opinion should change how much you like or enjoy your fish but if you choose not to update further on your fish that is all ok. I mentioned that your flowerhorn in fact does have a tail deformity but that is not a bad thing it’s just a fact and that’s why it was mentioned. Like I shared, my old flowerhorn had a deformity also and it originally bothered me but I learned to accept it and just enjoy my fish for what he was. Though only your view on your fish actually matters I think your fish looks pretty cool and wilI look better and better as it grows. The tail deformity adds character imo. I haven’t seen one like it very often. I say if you aren’t open to criticism, good or bad then don’t post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store