Stand Modification questions

Shanesaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone, this is my first post ever, so bare with me lol

So I currently have a 40g long tank, and a 30g. In my 40 I have a Pair of young Jack's, some Buenos Aires Tetras, and 2 pictus cats. I knew that this wasn't going to be their forever home, so I just recently decided to upgrade to a 75g (already purchased) that I will be putting all of my fish from the 40 in, and a few compatible ones from the 30 which I am getting rid of. The stand my 40 sits on is extremely well made out of 3/4"plywood and oak. The stand was made to fit the dimensions of the 40 perfectly. The 75 is the exact same width, but as you know is approx. 6.5" deeper than the 40. How the stand is made is that the tank sits on the top with a lip around it, but open in the back. I really want to use this stand because of how solid it is. I had this idea in mind for a modification to fit the new 75. If I could get any feedback as to if you think this would be sufficient to support the 6.5" overhang in the back, it would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize as I had to take a photo of a quick hand drawing, as my laptop is currently not working to get to my design programs.

So my idea was to instead of piecing in a piece of ply in the back with supports, to just put down a new sheet that fits the new dimensions, and that way the tank has an even surface to sit on. Then from there, I would be supporting the overhang with more 3/4" ply.

My one other addition to this would be to flip the stand and also put a new bottom on that's the same dimensions as the new top piece. That way when I screw/glue in my supports, they are being sandwiched between essentially a solid full size top and bottom to the stand.

20200503_205333~2.jpg

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yeah that would work. Just make sure that the top is flat and the new 3/4” pieces are affixed well and you should be good.

Reactions: tlindsey

Shanesaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Yeah that would work. Just make sure that the top is flat and the new 3/4” pieces are affixed well and you should be good.
Yeah, the top being flat is my main concern. That's why I decided I want to just lay down a full piece of ply to create a full support for the bottom without having to worry about leveling a smaller piece. Do you think that the second piece of ply on the bottom might be overkill If the new support walls are well secured just from the back? My thought with adding the bottom piece is that it just makes it all feel like one solid cabinet again instead of just having pieces added in on the back.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
As long as the sides and back are secured well, it should be ok without it. You can rely on your floor as long as it is level as well. For the flatness, I was directly that more towards the top where the tank sits. You don't want a hump right there at the transition.

Reactions: Oughtsix
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store