Starting an Above Ground Pool Pond

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
So I have decided I’m going to build and above ground pool pond and have a few questions.
1. Heating is my main concern. Would putting it into a greenhouse help keep it warm enough for exotic fish like oscars and exoctic catfish? Can I put a solar blanket over it or would that realease harmful chemicals into the water? Would heating the greenhouse keep the pond warm enough? Would the pond stay warm if I also put pond liner inside of the pool?
2. Would a couple of water pumps attached to some prefilters that are both mechanical and biological filters be enough? The pond would have about 1000 gallons of water in it. I would run three 1000 gph water pumps each attached to its own pre filter that contains a carbon filter sponge and some ceramic rings. So essentially the entire pond would be filtered about 3 times per hour... is this enough filtration and overturn for big exotic fish or should I invest in a pond filter? It will be a closed system.
3. Would using the greenhouse to heat the pond be cheaper in the long run instead of using water heaters?
4. Any other creative ways that I could heat the pond or keep it warm? Any other suggestions on ways to filter it? It will be a closed system.
I live on the central coast of California where the coolest temperature it can get in the winter is usually 20 degrees Fahrenheit and the warmest temperature in the summer is about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature usually throughout the day can vary by as much as 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Depends on how u heat the greenhouse and how u make it (if u make it well so that it traps and retains heat it would be well worth your time).
Adding plants such as: pothos,lipstick palm,water lilies,water arum,dawn redwood,elodea etc can help filter excess nutrients from your pond. Adding large boulders and 55 gallon drums full of water can help u retain heat,u can also hook filtration and heating equipment to solar panels and wind turbines (so u spend nothing on electric cost)

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
Depends on how u heat the greenhouse and how u make it (if u make it well so that it traps and retains heat it would be well worth your time).
Adding plants such as: pothos,lipstick palm,water lilies,water arum,dawn redwood,elodea etc can help filter excess nutrients from your pond. Adding large boulders and 55 gallon drums full of water can help u retain heat,u can also hook filtration and heating equipment to solar panels and wind turbines (so u spend nothing on electric cost)
That’s pretty smart... thanks for the help and advice.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
constant temperature is what you need .....I always wondered is a ground source heat pump could heat a pond ? Geothermal FREE energy.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
constant temperature is what you need .....I always wondered is a ground source heat pump could heat a pond ? Geothermal FREE energy.
I think it's been done in Japan, somewhat corrosive to equipment tho.
As an interesting side story there r tilapia in the snake river,they survive the cold winters by hanging around warm water springs

Reactions: davemal

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
lots of ways of using geothermal it can be done in less than 2mtrs of soil. Also air pumps now like a reverse refrigerator 1k energy produces 5k takes temperature out of the air

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
geothermal can be run in less than 2mtrs of soil now. Also air pumps can be used and can produce 5k energy from 1k of input, by taking temp from air

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Not sure where in California he is, but ground source heat pumps really only are worth the money if you're regularly below freezing. Most of southern california it would just be a huge increase in installation cost vs air.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
Not sure where in California he is, but ground source heat pumps really only are worth the money if you're regularly below freezing. Most of southern california it would just be a huge increase in installation cost vs air.
I’m basically on the coast at the half way point between Sanfransico and Los Angeles.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Look up 55gal barrel filters. Or my favorite, flow through boxes. Easy to build, simple to clean, and keep the water crystal clear. They can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store