Starting over... Hoga time

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Dang, big Amphs can pack big attitudes for sure, good luck.
lol, these guys are still little to me at about 5” and it is nipping on a 20” endli with no fear. Little amph, big attitude

I'm friends with him on Facebook. He's still alive ;-)
Is he still keeping fish? Seems like we have lost a lot of cichlid keepers in the Pacific Northwest. Nothing like it was in the past...

Reactions: Nilsafeller and RD.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very nice hoga man! I use to have a big 13" guy years ago and kept him in a 6ft 125 with a large ornate bichir and some other cichlids. He was actually pretty well mannered, killed one lyonsi which was my fault really, but other than that didn't cause much trouble. So there is hope!

Reactions: DMD123 and RD.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Very nice hoga man! I use to have a big 13" guy years ago and kept him in a 6ft 125 with a large ornate bichir and some other cichlids. He was actually pretty well mannered, killed one lyonsi which was my fault really, but other than that didn't cause much trouble. So there is hope!
You give me hope, thanks. They do seem to have calmed a bit. They were raised with a bunch of other cichlids including a big zo and when they hit my 300 with all calm peaceful tankmates it was a test the boundaries to see where they fit in. The bichirs all seem like they are healing up and not noticing any new fin nips. The balas also are healing.

Right now the big decision is who to keep. The smallest of the three has the best overall color and seems the most interactive, the middle one is an overall good looker and the dominant one has the best shape and second best colors. Thinking of pulling the two largest out and put them into other tanks and see how the littlest turns out.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I hate when you look at old threads and you are left hanging... wondering how it turned out. So I decided to close this one out and link to where it continues.

Not going to post anything here about the hoga since I decided to try an amphilophus community tank that will include a hoga.

All my updates here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ideas-for-an-all-amphilophus-tank.722816/

One Hoga rehomed to Jexnell Jexnell , his hoga updates here:

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store