Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
anyone? RD. RD. duanes duanes

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I had a colony of Pseudotopheus de masoni, 3 to 4 generations living together copasetically in the same small tank (of only 55 gallons)
Good to know. Did the older demasoni fry care for the younger fry like brichardi do? Also, how aggressive were they?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They were not aggressive with each other within the group, but when I tried to spread them out into tanks with some with other cichlids, they could be, depending on circumstances, and held their own with much larger species.
I never saw overt fry raising assistance, as in the type such as seen with brichardi.

Reactions: phreeflow

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Anyone know any other step breeders? Milingu Milingu

Milingu

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
The closest thing to step breeding like the brichardi group does I have seen with Julidochromis. But it's a weird thing. I never saw or heard that they do it in the wild and in the aquarium it can work for month or even years and then suddenly the main couple decides everyone over a certain size has to leave the tank or die.

Also worth mentioning are Neolamprologus multifasciatus because of their group behaviour. The older offspring doesn't directly help with raising the younger ones but help defending the shells and even sometimes help in attacks on other males territories.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Not of fan of multies…interesting but drab like Brichardi. Gold ocellatus look nicer but they aren’t great parents. Julidochromis seem nice.

Any others?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store