sterbai cory Breeding

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Accidentally set my sterbai cory into breeding.

I did an extra water change on my tanks this week bc the plecos poop so much...I forgot to plug my heater back in and I believe it set them into spawning. Tank temperature is usually 80-82 and dipped down into the 76-78 range before I noticed the heater wasn’t plugged in.

I was going to go to bed and did my nightly tank watch and seen eggs in the horn wort tank...I quickly slapped a breeder box in the tank and rolled approximately 13 eggs into the box. I need to go to bed as I work in the morning but I keep watching my tank for more eggs!

side note, two days ago I thought on of the cories had columnaris As I thought I seen red worms sticking out of the anus of one of the sterbai cory. I looked and looked and looked some more but thought my eyes were playing tricks on me as they looked normal when I did see them. Turns out it was the female carrying eggs that I originally seen which means they have been laying eggs for 2-3 days now ?

let’s see how this plays out in the next couple of weeks.

oh and I also sold a bunch of hornwort from that tank today and now I’m wondering how many eggs were in it.

FB2E235F-F156-47FF-8276-2E9E725EEBF5.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Accidentally set my sterbai cory into breeding.

I did an extra water change on my tanks this week bc the plecos poop so much...I forgot to plug my heater back in and I believe it set them into spawning. Tank temperature is usually 80-82 and dipped down into the 76-78 range before I noticed the heater wasn’t plugged in.

I was going to go to bed and did my nightly tank watch and seen eggs in the horn wort tank...I quickly slapped a breeder box in the tank and rolled approximately 13 eggs into the box. I need to go to bed as I work in the morning but I keep watching my tank for more eggs!

side note, two days ago I thought on of the cories had columnaris As I thought I seen red worms sticking out of the anus of one of the sterbai cory. I looked and looked and looked some more but thought my eyes were playing tricks on me as they looked normal when I did see them. Turns out it was the female carrying eggs that I originally seen which means they have been laying eggs for 2-3 days now ?

let’s see how this plays out in the next couple of weeks.

oh and I also sold a bunch of hornwort from that tank today and now I’m wondering how many eggs were in it.

View attachment 1419859
Congrats!!! The drop in temperature did it for sure. ?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
That's awesom. I found the remnants of cory eggs on the glass of my 220g. I had made the same mistake of not plugging the heaters back in.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That's awesom. I found the remnants of cory eggs on the glass of my 220g. I had made the same mistake of not plugging the heaters back in.
Yea and if you don’t pull the eggs they will most certainly be eaten. I was getting them off the glass as soon as I was seeing them, I smooshed one with my fingers but if I missed where she put the eggs the other fish were right there eating them

neontetraking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
nice

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Holy moly, my albino Cory are now breeding...the females lay larger clutches of eggs.

sterbi lay 1-2 eggs at a time

the albino Cory lay about 15 eggs each time.

I have scooped out approximately 50 eggs so far, I have to go to work shortly but I want to save one more lay before I leave.

out of the sterbi fry I have 4 left, the fry are tiny!!!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Holy moly, my albino Cory are now breeding...the females lay larger clutches of eggs.

sterbi lay 1-2 eggs at a time

the albino Cory lay about 15 eggs each time.

I have scooped out approximately 50 eggs so far, I have to go to work shortly but I want to save one more lay before I leave.

out of the sterbi fry I have 4 left, the fry are tiny!!!
What are you going to feed them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store