Sterilizing/quarantining wild plants

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I have access to ponds that have plenty of green cabomba and water lettuce.

I would like to get some but obviously I don't want to introduce hitchhikers to my tanks.
Do you have a sterilizing protocols for such cases? Will the chlorine in my tap water enough to kill off pathogens?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Initially treat with a potassium permanganate dip or a salt dip. That’s my preference. Would get a tote or separate tank and add the plants. Monitor for 2-4 weeks, if doing well then add to ur main tank if no probs seen.

Reactions: flukeone

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Kno4te, I have also used permanganate, and/or an alum dips to remove hitch hikers.
The small amount of residual chlorine in tap water would not be strong enough to kill most parasites.
When chlorine is added at a water treatment facility, it is much more concentrated than what finally comes out of your tap, and in combination with ozone treatment, flocculation and sedimentation using alum, and filtration in earlier treatment processes at the water plant, these other processes have the ability to remove hardy parasites, and are quite different than the trace of Cl2 from your tap.
Many aquatic pests have impermeable shells that a low chlorine dose with not bother.
Below is one of 32 filters we used in the water plant where I worked, it took 55,000 gallons to backwash at least once per week, and was in combination with the above mentioned processes to remove "hitchhikers".

That backwash water was then treated, and sent back to the source.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Initially treat with a potassium permanganate dip or a salt dip. That’s my preference. Would get a tote or separate tank and add the plants. Monitor for 2-4 weeks, if doing well then add to ur main tank if no probs seen.
dosing or PP and/or salt?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
dosing or PP and/or salt?
Can do either one. I know a few local society members that do both. Easier than bleach dips on plants.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store