Stingray Health Urgent

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hey everyone,
I got a mini marbled motoro 2 days ago. She was shipped in and had roughly a 13-14 hour trip. She hasn’t eaten yet which isn’t too big of a concern though I have offered cut up earthworms, bloodworms, krill, shrimp, tilapia, beef heart, and silversides. She’s about 8” and has some weight on her. I’m not sure what this is on her disc but it looks like dead skin or something. What is it and how should I treat it? Thanks!

3E1E7073-5285-40C4-9D14-F2C6518B13B1.jpeg

89FE03FA-A9DA-4D06-AD79-86B079A44D98.jpeg

C8032423-00E9-4916-92F3-207D11C7E44F.jpeg

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
She is in my 180 gallon, with a light diffuser as a divider so nothing is nipping at her. Parameters are all in check and pH is 8.2 which is average for my area.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
It looks like bite marks (previous own may have had a male in with her?) that are trying to heel. It will not heal if water isn’t in top shape so don’t hold hold back on the water changes. Water quality in a 180 gallon can swing pretty quickly. Make sure the left over food is removed within a half hour of feeding. Higher pH makes ammonia more toxic/less oxygen. Not a deal breaker but know that going in so you can monitor it. Test your water at least once a day until it catches up to the new bioload.

Short version is that likely happened before it shipped. That doesn’t happen in two days. It’s common so not a big deal. Clean water is now your biggest priority. If you have any males they need to be separated until she is healed and eating well/active.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
JK47 JK47

Reactions: tlindsey and JK47

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
It looks like bite marks (previous own may have had a male in with her?) that are trying to heel. It will not heal if water isn’t in top shape so don’t hold hold back on the water changes. Water quality in a 180 gallon can swing pretty quickly. Make sure the left over food is removed within a half hour of feeding. Higher pH makes ammonia more toxic/less oxygen. Not a deal breaker but know that going in so you can monitor it. Test your water at least once a day until it catches up to the new bioload.

Short version is that likely happened before it shipped. That doesn’t happen in two days. It’s common so not a big deal. Clean water is now your biggest priority. If you have any males they need to be separated until she is healed and eating well/active.
Okay thank you! I was worried it was fungal or bacterial. Do you think the same thing happened on the tail? I am thinking of dosing PraziPro to cover my basis with parasites. What do you think?

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018

Also is there anything I can do to make her settle in faster? I’ve had the lights off since I got her and put a blanket over her side of the tank.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Okay thank you! I was worried it was fungal or bacterial. Do you think the same thing happened on the tail? I am thinking of dosing PraziPro to cover my basis with parasites. What do you think?
Also is there anything I can do to make her settle in faster? I’ve had the lights off since I got her and put a blanket over her side of the tank.
You bet. The tail looks similar but is likely from jamming it in the substrate going up and down on the panel. Another symptom of a male likely all over her.

Settle and faster are mutually exclusive unfortunately. Just give her time. She’ll settle in and I’m sure she’ll be a great ray for you.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store