Stingray in pure RO?

pometko_n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
Hungary, Budapest
I have a problem with my water.
Would be way too long to explain the whole story, but the bottom line is that I have no tap water available and the only water I could use is from a well, which is very hard and I don't trust it at all, so I don't want to put my rays in it.

The question is do you think retics would do fine in pure or nearly pure RO water?

Ray112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
New York
when i kept my first retic i had tap water but the source was from a well and i used to age it for about 48 hours and it would test good. Not sure if itl'l work for you but its worth a shot.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
First of all, u would need some way to buffer your pH. It's the extreme pH swing you need to watch. Other than that it should be ok
Id just use the well water and slowly adjust pH with your R.O. Then start using just the well

Just my opinion. I've got city tap so i never had to deal w that but i know people that just use well water and have no issues

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

motoro magic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2011
england
I use neat RO for my rays and have done for the last 6 years. PH swings are a problem but i use coral gravel in my sump to keep it at 6.5and have had no issues, my last pair of rays even bred in RO so i must be doing something right.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I wouldn't use straight RO. Your PH level drops too low not only stressing your rays and making you beneficial bacteria unable to reproduce causing high ammonia. I experienced this first hand as I was in the same situation as you. I moved to an acreage and only had well water. I didn't trust it so I installed RO and used it exclusively. I constantly fought high ammonia and lost several fish. Switched to the well water without using any additives or treatments and had no problems. Raised rays from tiny Pups to breeding adults producing pups.

For water changes I would fill a 40 gallon garbage can, heat & aerate the water and run a canister filter with charcoal in it for 24 hours. Works great.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Guys using a constant reverse osmosis drip will prevent any fluctuations in anything that's the point of a drip . On the other hand don't all of the sudden drain your tank and fill it with ro water and have no constant drip. Of you start with reverse osmosis it's almost like an art form. Turn the thing on and start a slow constant drip .you wont shock anything going slow :)

If you have really hard tap water drip that as a buffer no need for coral . My water has high calcium minerals ect .. I drip 90% ro 10% tap .the 10% tap does more for adding back than a big bag of coral does and never needs replacing . Different times of year I add coral and drip almost no tap water and almost 100% ro due to contaminants that make it through during certain seasons .

Using reverse osmosis requires certain essential monitoring devices .
Ph monitor is priceless ...
Tds meter and or even better conductivity meter.

I've recently stoped the use of my ph monitoring because my conductivity and Tds meter tell me I'm fine . Only way ph will drastically crash is if your hardness is very low and your not constantly dripping enough .

If your really hardcore into ro go 100% but this takes certian degree of knowledge and experience .most people kill off there tanks .

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gmaniax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Charlotte
i agree...id be careful with pure RO.. it can change in a hurry. i mix mine with about 30 % tap to buffer it

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
All good info , I use a 5" PVC pipe filled with DI resin I get from a local water purifier company, for my biweekly water changes on my ray tank , just ad a cap full of prime to the 45 gallon pail . It knocks the TDS from 180 to 40. For my reef I use rodi to get it down to 0

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store