Stingrays breathing rapidly

James1973

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2020
I have a 420 gallon tank with a 120 k1 moving bed sump. My parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 ppm nitrate ph 7.0 and temp stays right around 80. I have 4 rays ranging from 8" to the biggest being around 12". There is also a black arowana about 12", 4 datnoids about 6" apiece and a kelberi peacock bass about 8-9". None of the fish bother the rays. So earlier in the day today I noticed one of my rays breathing a little heavy didnt see any other signs of distress so I just shut the lights off and left them alone. Fast forward to tonight turn the lights on feed them a fillet of tilapia no issues everyone eats good. As I observe them eat as they finish i notice all 4 rays to be breathing very rapidly. As soon as I saw that I decided to test my water to see if anything wrong and I came up with the parameters listed above. Just to be on the safe side I decided to do a 25% wc. After the change they are still breathing heavy and I just can't see why everything seems up to par and theres no visible signs of harassment from other fish. The only thing I could come up with is i ordered a gallon of prime off amazon and thinking I did my normal wc yesterday and used it for the first time maybe it wasn't good. So I gave it a smell and I know prime doesn't smell good but this stuff smelt bad and weird. Any possibility it could be that? Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 420 gallon tank with a 120 k1 moving bed sump. My parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 ppm nitrate ph 7.0 and temp stays right around 80. I have 4 rays ranging from 8" to the biggest being around 12". There is also a black arowana about 12", 4 datnoids about 6" apiece and a kelberi peacock bass about 8-9". None of the fish bother the rays. So earlier in the day today I noticed one of my rays breathing a little heavy didnt see any other signs of distress so I just shut the lights off and left them alone. Fast forward to tonight turn the lights on feed them a fillet of tilapia no issues everyone eats good. As I observe them eat as they finish i notice all 4 rays to be breathing very rapidly. As soon as I saw that I decided to test my water to see if anything wrong and I came up with the parameters listed above. Just to be on the safe side I decided to do a 25% wc. After the change they are still breathing heavy and I just can't see why everything seems up to par and theres no visible signs of harassment from other fish. The only thing I could come up with is i ordered a gallon of prime off amazon and thinking I did my normal wc yesterday and used it for the first time maybe it wasn't good. So I gave it a smell and I know prime doesn't smell good but this stuff smelt bad and weird. Any possibility it could be that? Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.
I believe any manufacturer can produce a bad product every once in awhile. I really hope the Rays breathing gets back to normal.

Reactions: kno4te

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I lost a group of L134 and a some L46 plecos after a water change....their gills went beet red and they were frantic and breathing heavy. Costly loss. Same routine as always so I narrowed down the issue to a bottle of Seachem Safe I got off Amazon. That was the only thing I did different. I tossed it and now spend a bit more and buy the stuff locally from my LFS just to be sure. I have no idea if the stuff I bought was a knockoff or a bad batch but I never have issues after I started buying local. Come to think of it, I never had issues before with any dechlorinator either. It was just that one bottle...

James1973

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2020
That sucks i hope that's not the case here and they survive. The only thing I don't get is the other stock in the tank doesn't seem affected if that were the case.

James1973

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2020
Any other ideas I did a 25 wc last night woke up to them still breathing heavy waited a little to observe and then decided to do another 50% wc with no succes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store