Stocking 100 gallon mbuna

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hi, I do not want to raise fry.
Are juvenile dwarf petricolas big enough to eat them?
Mbunas are about 2 or 2.5 inches long, when I purchase them.
Still waiting for the tank delivery...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME the adult mbuna will eat any fry spit in the main tank. If your tank doesn't have any tiny cracks or crevices where a fry can survive long term, in the open they will typically become a snack. S. lucipinnis (typically sold as petricola) are more efficient at eating eggs, and disrupting the breeding process, than predating on fry. If you are really concerned with fry clean up, add a single predator, such as F. fryeri. I don't think that you will need one, your call.

Reactions: GermanDude

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Oh, I understood what you wanted to tell me, thank you!
There will be some pretty narrow crevices at the holey rock replicas which are supposed to be in the tank.
That' s what they look like20190624_195438.jpg
The desk is 4 ft wide, the taller rock about up to 16 inches high.
Some holes are big but there are some smaller areas inside where juvenile and adult mbunas will not fit in.
So a slender predator , like synodontis might be helpful.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
They also look easy enough to remove …..

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Yes, the big one weighs 20 pounds.
It is made of sand, somehow manufactured with heat and pressure, so it is just like sandstone.
I need to smoothen it more, works ok with handfiles, but hard to access some interior areas.
The rocks are about 6 inches deep, so it is manageable.
Some javafern will be put on it.
As algae will be growing, it will look more natural hopefully.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
What if the person he is honest with isn't as honest and passes them off as pure? A tank is only so big an holding on to a bunch of fish for their entire life could end up taking up more space than the op has.
Plz stop that happens sometimes but not all the time im sick of hearing abt the hybrids. A fh is a hybrid no one cares but then when an african cichlid crosses its a big deal.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
No a FH is a carefully selected line bred hybrid especially bred for its specific traits. For ALMOST ALL other fish its pretty immportant to know what it is. Why do you think the general consensus on here is to NOT stock your tank from a mixed african tank. And just saying if you post about your FH in the CA/SA section theyll prolly hate on it there also. Kinda why hybrids have their own sub-forum

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
No a FH is a carefully selected line bred hybrid especially bred for its specific traits. For ALMOST ALL other fish its pretty immportant to know what it is. Why do you think the general consensus on here is to NOT stock your tank from a mixed african tank. And just saying if you post about your FH in the CA/SA section theyll prolly hate on it there also. Kinda why hybrids have their own sub-forum
You are right I said that as longs the person is honest that its a hybrid there is no problem. There are always going to be ignorant people that will lie.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store