Stocking a 300g Tanganyika tank

mindstate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2023
For research purposes, how would you stock a 300 gallon tanganyika tank

I have a 300g SA Cichlid tank but thinking of adding a similar sized tank for Tangs.

It should include some shell dweller species and some calvus species atleast, but please let your imagination flow freely. So how would you stock? Which species and numbers?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
- 3/10 Lamprologus calipterus
- 3/10 Ophthalmotilapia sp.of your choice
- 2/2 A. calvus

Or
3/3 of any smaller monogamous shell dwelling cichlids - especially the smaller Lepidiolamprologus like L. boulengeri would be interesting in a bigger tank
2/2 A. calvus
30+ Cyprichromis

There are a lot of possibilities.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
For research purposes, how would you stock a 300 gallon tanganyika tank

I have a 300g SA Cichlid tank but thinking of adding a similar sized tank for Tangs.

It should include some shell dweller species and some calvus species atleast, but please let your imagination flow freely. So how would you stock? Which species and numbers?
I’m far from a tang expert and really just getting my feet wet. But I still have some ideas. I think doing 3 or 4 distinct areas would be cool, assuming you’re using sand for substrate-shells on one side with a type of shelly, then next to that an open sand area with a sand sifting type and on the other side a rocky area with some type of julie or some kind of similar rock dweller and maybe some feather fins for the upper water column.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store