Stocking Advice for a 350L / 90g tank (120cm×50cm×66cm l×w×h)

Jinglehell

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2018
Switzerland
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask you guys what your stocking suggestion for the following idea is:

I'd like to have some leopard bushfish (5/6) with some bichirs. In particular, the bichirs I thought would work in a 90g are the senegals and the delhezi. Does that work and if so, how many of each species would you recommend? Are the bushfish fine aswell? I don't plan on upgrading the tank anytime soon so the bichirs should be capable of staying in the 90g forever (although I'd love to upgrade in the future but have no idea as to when I'll do).

Additionaly, if the delhezis shouldn't work since they grow a little larger, are there any other species of bichir that would also be less "dull" than senegals and would go together with them?

Many thanks in advance
Jingle

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
1 senegal, 1 delhezi, and no more than 5 bush fish should work if you are willing to keep the nitrates below 20ppm every week.

Reactions: Jinglehell

Jinglehell

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks to all of you for all your answers.
maybe also consider polli bichirs. Not sure how important activity level is
would the pollis be active or rather not active? I'd obviously like as much activity as possible but am full aware that a tank stocked with these kind of fish will never be as active as let' say a malawi tank and I'm totally fine with that.

1 senegal, 1 delhezi, and no more than 5 bush fish should work if you are willing to keep the nitrates below 20ppm every week.
3 sen and 3 del and 3 bushfish
So I mean I know there is no golden rule to anything and that's why I am here to get a kinda of "normal" idea of what i could stock my tank with... but the differences seem kinda high to be honest. I personally don't think I should have too many issues with nitrates because i am filtering with a Eheim 1200XLT suited for up to 1200L... And
Sounds like quite a nice setup to me. I think that stocking should be fine.
which stocking were you refering to? the general idea or the stocking provided by Rocksor?

I personally would have thought maybe 2 of each kind of bichir and then 5 leos but once again, I am here to talk to you and learn from your knowledge.

Thanks again for the responses till now and looking forward to further discussions.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks to all of you for all your answers.

would the pollis be active or rather not active? I'd obviously like as much activity as possible but am full aware that a tank stocked with these kind of fish will never be as active as let' say a malawi tank and I'm totally fine with that.

So I mean I know there is no golden rule to anything and that's why I am here to get a kinda of "normal" idea of what i could stock my tank with... but the differences seem kinda high to be honest. I personally don't think I should have too many issues with nitrates because i am filtering with a Eheim 1200XLT suited for up to 1200L... And
Pollis can be just as active as senegals.

It doesn't matter how many or how large your filters are since they are use for converting ammonia to nitrates and collecting debris. Water changes are easiest way to remove nitrates. Are you willing to do 1 water change of 50% a week or couple of 75% or more water changes per week? This will ultimately determine your long term stocking, and your ability to keep nitrates less than 20ppm per day.

Jinglehell

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2018
Switzerland
Pollis can be just as active as senegals.

It doesn't matter how many or how large your filters are since they are use for converting ammonia to nitrates and collecting debris. Water changes are easiest way to remove nitrates. Are you willing to do 1 water change of 50% a week or couple of 75% or more water changes per week? This will ultimately determine your long term stocking, and your ability to keep nitrates less than 20ppm per day.

Hey Rocksor

Yeah right filters won't render water changes obsolete but a bigger filter still means that your overall water quality is better and will stay better for a longer time. However, since this isn't my only tank and I am now restocking it and not starting completely new, I am already on a weekly water change schedule (with the occasional two week waterchange if on holidays or some stuff like that). I also already had some bichirs from a friend for a couple of months about a year ago since his tank cracked and he couldn't get a new one fast enough. Had no issues there with 1 senegal, 1 delhezi and 2 ornats (all being 20cm+), obviously the ornats couldn't have stayed in there for much longer but had no water quality issues there - this while being on a much smaller filter than now (about 3 times smaller- and yes I know, it's not all about the size ;) ) I was feeding the every other day with frozen fish and they seemed happy and grew nicely.

I don't wanna sound like I wouldn't care about the inputs you give me, it's just what I experienced worked fine for a few months, that's why I am a little "let down" by the fact that you suggest only getting one of each kind.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
RIght now I've got two sens, two dels, two ropes, and a polli in my 75 gallon (close to the same dimensions as yours). While I'm not keeping bush fish, my sens are the most active in my tank, followed by my larger rope (actually larger rope may be as active as the sens), then my polli, then my smaller rope, and lastly the two dels. Not saying this is how it will be for you but just for added evidence.

Reactions: Jinglehell

Jinglehell

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2018
Switzerland
RIght now I've got two sens, two dels, two ropes, and a polli in my 75 gallon (close to the same dimensions as yours). While I'm not keeping bush fish, my sens are the most active in my tank, followed by my larger rope (actually larger rope may be as active as the sens), then my polli, then my smaller rope, and lastly the two dels. Not saying this is how it will be for you but just for added evidence.

Well after doing some stalking and seeing your vid of the polli being out and about I might get one or 2 pollis aswell instead of the delhezi... Even though interestingly enough the delhezi was the most active one from the 4 that i took care of for some months. But in the end you won't have know how they'll behave anyways. But I just love the markings on the delhezis, that's probably one of the biggest reasons to get one. But thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store