Stocking ideas for 90 gallon predator tank

Kris39

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2020
Any help on what to stock my brand new 90 gallon tank? Definitely want a gar but some people say 90 isn’t big enough. Just looking for some help on this. Maybe a Peacock Bass or largemouth? Knife fish?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any help on what to stock my brand new 90 gallon tank? Definitely want a gar but some people say 90 isn’t big enough. Just looking for some help on this. Maybe a Peacock Bass or largemouth? Knife fish?
Welcome aboard
Unfortunately a 90 gallon is too small for a true Gar , Peacock Bass, and depends on the specie of knife fish. There are specie of Characin that are called Gar for example Rocket Gar or Marbled Gar they are native to South America.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Does the predator have to be active? Chaca chaca catfish and gulper catfish are predators.

Also any fishkeepers worth their tanks will tell you that a true gar has no place in a 90 gallon. Neither does a peacock bass or a largemouth bass nor a small mouth.

An African knifefish wouldn’t be bad in a 90 gallon but they aren’t “predators”. Sure they are in a literal sense but they won’t be the type of predator I think you’re looking for.

Kris39

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2020
Does the predator have to be active? Chaca chaca catfish and gulper catfish are predators.

Also any fishkeepers worth their tanks will tell you that a true gar has no place in a 90 gallon. Neither does a peacock bass or a largemouth bass nor a small mouth.

An African knifefish wouldn’t be bad in a 90 gallon but they aren’t “predators”. Sure they are in a literal sense but they won’t be the type of predator I think you’re looking for.
Thanks for your help, what ab a Needlenose?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, even a smaller variety of Gar requires at least a 6 ft. tank.
Since its apparent you like elongated predators, look at Dimidiochromis Compressiceps (Eye biter) a species a little more suited for your 90 gal. tank. Still would be a tight fit, but doable.

Reactions: Kris39 and tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Perhaps a few bichirs? A 4’ x 1.5’ can hold a good few of the smaller bichirs from what I know.

Reactions: Kris39
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store