stocking ideas for a 75-gallon African tank

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Just did one of these myself,

Thread and tank... can be found in the African cichlid section...

Anywho, I’ll vote Victorians... seem to fun so far, not as much color as others...

Another member suggested Mbuna for me 4 species x 4f - 1m of each. Would have been more color than what I have now.

I’ll follow to see what you come up with.

Good luck!

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
A 75 gal. Makes for a nice Mbuna tank.
Just construct a couple of good sized rock piles. Make sure the water has a PH between 7.8 - 8.3. Couple of quality HOB filters or one good sized canister, then your good to go.
Plenty of Mbuna varieties readily available to choose from. You can go with the 1x male to 3x-4x female plan or an all male community.
I keep plenty of Peacocks & Haps, but my overall favorites are the Mbuna.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Gotta have Lake Tanganyika represented. I have a colony of calvus as they are my favorite Tangs, and a colony of similis shellies. Plus Synodontis petricola (the real thing) in that tank which are not always best with shellies, but the Synos are not bothering the similis for now.

You can see from my signature I have one of each. Been doing this 15 years now. I have kept Victorians in the past and will again, but they are definitely one male/species if you want color. Females are silver.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Agree with ransome. A 75 tang tank would look awesome. A school of 15-20 Cyprichromis for the upper levels, some neolamprologus leleupi for a rock pile or cylindricus and maybe 4 calvus..... would look nice.
I am also a fan of a Victorian tank. Would like to set up a species only of zebra obliquidens.

Reactions: dr exum

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Most Synos sold as petricola are lucipinnis. Nearly impossible to get true petricola (as identified on Planet Catfish) I have found for many years. All my lucipinnis were bought as petricola.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store