Stocking ideas

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Due to the fact that I'm extremely new to planted aquariums, I am interested in some ideas for stocking my tank, plant wise and fish wise. I really would like to keep a group of bolivian rams or german blue, any ideas for clean up crews? I heard amanos shrimp may work with rams but if not would bamboo shrimp do the same kind of diligent clean up amanos would do? I also was considering some Otto cats and a panda garra. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What size is the tank? High tech? Low tech?

Peeps are gonna need some more details if you want suggestions. Otherwise you may end up with suggestions that are not suited for your tank or circumstances. :)

Reactions: magpie

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Yeah, I was in a hurry on that post. Sorry. But it's a 29 gallon. Has t5ho. I'd say I want to stay on the lower tech side due to it being my first highly planted tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
otos are real good for planted tanks. rosy barbs are also really nice for colour and activity

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, I was in a hurry on that post. Sorry. But it's a 29 gallon. Has t5ho. I'd say I want to stay on the lower tech side due to it being my first highly planted tank.
How many bulbs of T5HO you got and how many watts???

I ask coz normally high light will also mean you possibly need Co2 (liquid or injected) to help your plants out along with some ferts...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
That sounds pretty much like it will put you into the high light category, which means you'll need to make sure that you have enough plants at the beginning to outcompete potential algae growth...

It may also be worth considering the speed in which different plants grow, coz slower growing plants such as anubias are likely to use a lot less nutrients compared to faster growing ones, but may also be prone to havig algae growth on the plant itself due to its slow growing nature...

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Too be honest I'm just looking for suggestions I don't even have the tank set up so I mean what are some beautiful/fun plants and fish to keep in a planted tank

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I got some fancy guppy males 2 hours ago. I love them already and they are super pretty

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Too be honest I'm just looking for suggestions I don't even have the tank set up so I mean what are some beautiful/fun plants and fish to keep in a planted tank
Doing a low light tank with crypts / anubias / bucephlandra could already look amazing as thise plants come in a wide variety of sizes and colors...

Then you could either do a betta / a comm tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store