Stocking suggestions for 12g nano

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'm finally putting together my first nano reef! Should be ready to add fish/inverts soon. I definitely plan on keeping a pair of clownfish but I know those have to be added last. So I need ideas for another fish (or two hopefully) and a clean up crew. And what would be the hardiest species to add first? Thanks!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You will definitely want to add cleaning crew.
Snails and reef hermits for sure.
For fish I think a clownfish pair in a 12 gallon is going to be maxed out already.
This is also going to depend on a pair that is bonded and gets along.
If you can’t get them to pair you may only get away with a single clown.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
You will definitely want to add cleaning crew.
Snails and reef hermits for sure.
For fish I think a clownfish pair in a 12 gallon is going to be maxed out already.
This is also going to depend on a pair that is bonded and gets along.
If you can’t get them to pair you may only get away with a single clown.
Thanks! Is there a way to improve chances of bonding? I thought I'd just buy two very young clowns and they'd pair naturally because I've read the less dominant individual changes gender to male.

I've decided I definitely want at least one scarlet hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp. Would one be less hardy than the other in a newly cycled tank?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would start with a few scarlets, some astrea snails for diatom and algae control.

I wouldn’t add a shrimp of any kind until the tank has been established for a while.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you’re set on clowns buy them small.
I’m assuming you’re referring to False percula clowns.
They should work. 12 gallons just isn’t a lot of water or space.
I’ve seen others do these small nano tanks and as long as you have the experience and pay close attention to water quality they can be very nice.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks! Yes, I do mean the false percula. I have no experience with saltwater tanks but I'll try my best to watch the water quality. So I'll start with 2-3 hermit crabs. Should I add coral before the clownfish or it doesn't matter?

And is a skimmer a must? I've come across conflicting info as to whether they're needed for nano tanks.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The reason why you will hear different advice on Skimming Nano is because at this size tank it’s cheaper to just do water changes.
Skimming will remove organics and proteins before they start to break down. In return extending the water quality and times between water changes.
Also on tanks this small there’s not much room for a skimmer unless you use a sump.
You could do hang on back models, but like I said instead of spending a hundred bucks or more on a skimmer most people will just buy salt and do water changes.
On small tanks it’s easy to over skim as well, starving out some inverts and corals

Since this is your first saltwater setup I would recommend just start with fish and get the basics nailed down before you jump straight into reef.
This will give you time to learn and get the proper water quality established.
Salinity and temperatures are harder to maintain in small tanks without fluctuations and fish are more forgiving in that aspect compared to corals and inverts

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Gotcha. Thanks for such a detailed explanation.
When you say invertebrates, does that include crabs as well? Should I start with fish instead of the hermit crabs then?

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
My live rock grew some green hair algae while in storage. Uck! Parameters are all at 0 so I'll start with a couple of scarlet hermits and hope they clean the algae off.

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Gotcha. Thanks for such a detailed explanation.
When you say invertebrates, does that include crabs as well? Should I start with fish instead of the hermit crabs then?
No, I don’t include the cleaners in with that.
You should still get the cleaning crew.
When I say inverts I meant the shrimps, anemone,corals and starfish.
The larger inverts tend to be more sensitive and definitely cost more.
I wouldn’t want to recommend you waste money on these animals until you are certain you can keep them properly.
For their sake and your wallets sake as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store