Stone Pike Tank

Hadrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
virginia
Now that the damn Pike virus has worked its' way back into my DNA 18 years later...I'm thinking maybe I should do something large. I'd like to build a big tank to keep 6-8 large Lugubris Pikes of various kinds (+ another 6-7 cichlasomas). I am a stonemason/stone-sculptor by trade (www.Hadrianstone.com) so I thought I'd make something nice from stone/concrete on 4 sides and throw a glass or acrylic front on. Now the question-how big and what dimensions? I want them to be genreously housed even at full size (but not have more space than I need or more $$ spent than necessary). Pike-people please chime in with your 2-cents on size and dimensions. All the best to my fellow afflicted souls. Greg

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Minimum would probably 8' x 3' x 2'. Depth isn't really a concern with Crenicichla, the width and lenght are huge factors though...as each species/pair will need to set up its own territory and be able to comfortably move around each other. I knew someone who kept a pair of lents. and marms. in a 750gal tank, they got along for a while, but eventually had to move one pair cuz they kept fightin. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I had 3 Crenicichla sp. 'xingu II', 3 Crenicichla sp. 'cobra' and 1 Crenicichla lenticulata in a 125gal...haha. They are all Lugubris pikes, and none of them were adults, althought some of them were subadults. So the aggression wasn't intense, although there was a pecking order. Start them young, grow them up together. Remove the unpaired/picked on ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store