Stubborn bass

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Bought a spider kelberi on 27th January, and till today it still won’t eat anything besides feeders. I’ve starved it for more than an entire month and it still won’t eat ?. I’ve tried garlic soaked prawns and different pellets and would still ignore. I’ve also tried the string method but it doesn’t work. Any other options? I’m starting to lose my patience damn it

Reactions: dr exum

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Sounds like a total bass. could try hand feeding the goldfish but have a piece of tilapiain your hand too. He may also like the movement so maybe use tongs on your fingers to move whatever you want to feed him around. Also stuff the seafood with pellets. if he eats that he'll also get the nutrients of he refuses pellets still. Good luck!

Reactions: Bbuckley

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
You must have patience Caveden Caveden .
Eventually he is going to have to eat. Is he solo in a tank or does he have tankmates? Do you know what he was fed before you got him? It sounds like you're doing everything you can to get him to eat. Sometimes it's really tough to get certain fish off the feeder fish. I say give him some time, he has to eat sometime. GL

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Eventually he is going to have to eat. Is he solo in a tank or does he have tankmates? Do you know what he was fed before you got him? It sounds like you're doing everything you can to get him to eat. Sometimes it's really tough to get certain fish off the feeder fish. I say give him some time, he has to eat sometime. GL
That....and in my experience the kels are the most stubborn cichla to train onto pellets.The last batch of younglings I had had drastically sunken bellies before they started eating the massivore that I was dropping in for them. The longer you offer other foods to eat the longer it will take to get them onto pellets so give them nothing else until well after they are regularly gobbling up the pellets.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
There’s an arowana, a gar, a ray and two bichirs. I saw the owner of the store feeding it some white meat and it immediately ate. I’m not sure why it’s stubborn towards me

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Bought a spider kelberi on 27th January, and till today it still won’t eat anything besides feeders. I’ve starved it for more than an entire month and it still won’t eat ?. I’ve tried garlic soaked prawns and different pellets and would still ignore. I’ve also tried the string method but it doesn’t work. Any other options? I’m starting to lose my patience damn it
mine have only recently started eating pellets after a year ...

initially did QT’d feeders with food sticks inserted in mouth before feeding

blood worm soaked pellets
krill
tilapia
shrimp

kelberi are the pickiest it seems

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I haven’t tried that yet. Do I straight up just kill the feeders and see whether it eats? But krichardson said not to feed until it finally gives in.
If you don't have the feeders yet, then starve them. If you already have the feeders, then quickly kill one and see what it does when you put it in the tank. If it takes a dead feeder, then chances are high it will take frozen silversides.

Have you tried earthworms or red wigglers from a bait shop? or even live crickets? I figure these are much better than store bought feeders.

Reactions: Matteus

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Ah I see. I’ll try to get feeders today. And idk any bait shops HAHAHA sry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store