Styrofoam Background

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
I was thinking of making a syrofoam background but instead of sealing it with epoxy, couldint I spraypaint it? Well styrofoam is fish safe (they make fish coolers out of it) and Krylon Fusion is fish safe (many people paint stuff in their tanks with it) So can't I make a styro background, paint it then silicone it in place? That would make them alot less $$$!

sparker18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Florida
I'm doing one right now that I spraypainted, but I haven't tested it yet though. The only problem is spray-paint eats through the styrofoam. I had to use the stone texture spraypaint and then I highlighted it with a dark green. Don't know if it's gonna work or not but it is cheap enough to give it a shot.

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
gotta be some sturdy styrofoam cause that standard styrofoam stuff will crack, break, and bend when submerged cause it will be under constant stress of trying to float.

sparker18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Florida
Not the best pic, it's only a 10g cause I wanted to test it. The rock on the right still needs some green added to it and glued down then I'll test it sometime next week.

sparker18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Florida
Try it again

100_1828.JPG

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
i want to try this also...as i tryed it with concrete with no sucsess....so all i need is styrofoam,Krylon Fusion and silicone???? if so, i'll give it anouther shot.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
you need to drain the tank and silicone the thing to the glass, so it doesnt float away or break..., All spray paint will eat the styrafome away, most glue will too..., you need to use elmers glue or silicone to join pieces...

Why didnt concrete work for you?>

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
the concret that i used was a type that had sand in it and was only for touch ups. it crumbled aftter awhile and i just gave up on it...i can get the styrofam for free, so it wasnt a big loss. i have spray painted styrofoam befor and it didnt eat fight though it but it gave it a nice texture....it was just a test and i didnt use it cause i wasnt sure if it was safe or not. so does anyone know if that type of spraypaint is safe or not??? sure would like to give it a shot.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
So this is the stuff...is it fish safe??? and can i use it instead on concret?? it comes in alot of diff. colors thats why i would like to use it...put a few coats of this and then maybe a sealer....what do you think??

Krylon® Make It Stone!® Textured Paints

Turn ordinary surfaces into a beautiful stone-textured look.

• Quick, easy two-step process
  • Clear coat sealer adds a protective topcoat to stone finish
  • Acid-free/archival safe
  • Available in eight textured colors

Project Ideas:
Furniture
Lamps
Picture frames
Planters
Pottery

Recommended Surfaces:
Ceramic/Plaster