substrate for Ecat

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
A while back i had posted a picture of my Ecat in a bare bottom tank. A couple people had mentioned their ecats loved moving around substrate. Anyone know what substrate they prefer? I would like to do sand or pea gravel but will go larger if I have to

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
he is a two foot fish. Trust me his mouth is not small at all.
I'd still think sand so that it could pass through his gills easily if anything. And cool to hear, haven't seen anyone grow one so large.

Reactions: Charney

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Me neither. Super job, Michael! I take it you are withholding visuals for a reason ;)

Remember that mine and S Samaka 's ecats took gravel in their mouths and spit it out of their tanks, mine did that through a small crack!

I don't think we know what to make of this but it is plausible they didn't like the gravel. My gravel wasn't too smooth either, it was an aquarium gravel but of irregular shape. My ecat was ~6".

Sorry, I forgot to mention this when I replied to your pm: Hey Michael! I'm not sure I'd be of help because after the genus was split in so many species IDK what each needs (neither can I ID them). It may depend on the species (hence on their known habitat). My impression is most major African rivers are murky and muddy, which could mean that the bottoms are mud or sand and debris. And in general for housekeeping, sand is better than gravel. It'd probably be ok with bare bottom too.

Reactions: Charney

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Me neither. Super job, Michael! I take it you are withholding visuals for a reason ;)

Remember that mine and S Samaka 's ecats took gravel in their mouths and spit it out of their tanks, mine did that through a small crack!

I don't think we know what to make of this but it is plausible they didn't like the gravel. My gravel wasn't too smooth either, it was an aquarium gravel but of irregular shape. My ecat was ~6".

Sorry, I forgot to mention this when I replied to your pm: Hey Michael! I'm not sure I'd be of help because after the genus was split in so many species IDK what each needs (neither can I ID them). It may depend on the species (hence on their known habitat). My impression is most major African rivers are murky and muddy, which could mean that the bottoms are mud or sand and debris. And in general for housekeeping, sand is better than gravel. It'd probably be ok with bare bottom too.
thank you. so sorry I didn't get back to you. I can't decide if I want to get some pool sand and rinse the heck out of it or track down some ceramic quartz.

I definitely owe you some pictures. I tried the other night and the tank is too dark. I will get a light on it get a video for you. he is a beast and by far the best fish I have ever owned.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store