Substrate For Flowerhorn Question

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
I’m thinking of going with something white to lighten up my flowerhorn. I don’t want to go with a bare bottom tank, and was wondering if I could get opinions on sand - more specifically CaribSea Super Natural Crystal River Substrate. It looks course, and doesn’t have a consistent texture. However, it says it’s good for sting-rays and corydoras.

It’s on sale for $18.99 for 50lbs right now. Normally $50. I understand Flowerhorns like to dig. Would this work and be safe for the fish as well as a canister filter? I’m running a Fluval 407 in the tank.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
If your going with sand. Just go with pool filter sand from your local hardware store. Very cheap and big enough grain not to sucked into the filter or blown around the tank when stirred. Just make to rinse in out in a bucket before use.

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
After checking the 3 big box stores in my area, none have white in stock. One has a tan/brown, but costs $23.99 for 50lbs - more expensive than the white CaribSea.

I’m open to tan/brown as it seems it won’t show waste that builds up between water changes.
Will tan/brown lighten my FH up? Or is white a better option?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
After checking the 3 big box stores in my area, none have white in stock. One has a tan/brown, but costs $23.99 for 50lbs - more expensive than the white CaribSea.

I’m open to tan/brown as it seems it won’t show waste that builds up between water changes.
Will tan/brown lighten my FH up? Or is white a better option?
Tan/brown will do it. Would probably look better then white, too. Are changing the background color to blue aswell?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If your going with sand. Just go with pool filter sand from your local hardware store. Very cheap and big enough grain not to sucked into the filter or blown around the tank when stirred. Just make to rinse in out in a bucket before use.
I agree, personally not a fan of white - with one exception to the above comment PFS can most definitely get sucked up into filter intakes. Been there, done that, even with pre-filter sponges on my AC intakes. Depends on the fish, and how much sand they like to kick up, or spit on intakes.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I agree, personally not a fan of white - with one exception to the above comment PFS can most definitely get sucked up into filter intakes. Been there, done that, even with pre-filter sponges on my AC intakes. Depends on the fish, and how much sand they like to kick up, or spit on intakes.
Oh yeah it will definitely mess with AC’s.

cichlid@ddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2020
Imo, i tried bare, sand, gravel, crushed coral and none seem to work well with fh. So i used ceremic media instead. My fh seem to like it so far.

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Tan/brown will do it. Would probably look better then white, too. Are changing the background color to blue aswell?
Yeah. The plan is to switch it to blue. I have a dark blue on the other side side of my current black background in place.

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
Would sand make it’s way through all the media to the impeller in a Fluval 407 canister filter? I’ve heard mixed opinions on sand and canisters in the past, before I got back into the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store