Substrate options with bichirs, bristlenose plecos, community

OakBichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2022
Not looking for sand, more of a small rocky substrate for ease of cleaning. Right now I have basic gravel black and red mix bought at the local pet store. Bichirs don't seem to mind it, but I'd want the rocks to be more rounded. I also want more of a natural look as I upgrade to a 55 G. I'm looking at getting Topfins Sku:1832310.

Does anyone else have suggestions? It's a community tank with a few other top dwellers in a semi-planted aquarium.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Not looking for sand, more of a small rocky substrate for ease of cleaning. Right now I have basic gravel black and red mix bought at the local pet store. Bichirs don't seem to mind it, but I'd want the rocks to be more rounded. I also want more of a natural look as I upgrade to a 55 G. I'm looking at getting Topfins Sku:1832310.

Does anyone else have suggestions? It's a community tank with a few other top dwellers in a semi-planted aquarium.
Welcome aboard

I personally had pea gravel in my 180 gallon a few years ago but changed out to pool filter sand. Read fatalities of Bichir swallowing gravel and not being able to pass the stone.

OakBichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2022
I found black sand that is fairly heavy. Washed and ready 60 lbs in my 55 gallon. I'll be adding fish soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store