Substrate

Bibianca4

Feeder Fish
Mar 2, 2021
Hi!

We bought an half-banded spiny eel and we are looking to buy a soft sand for our substrate. Thing is, we don’t know what brand/sand is better. There’s a lot of different opinions, some people say that aquarium sand is fine, others say you can buy pool sand and others say that playsand for children is what is best. What would you guys recommand?

Thank you! :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Regular aquarium sand is fine or pool filter sand. Provide a little hideout for the eel to encourage less sand play.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Depends what you want to pay and how much work you want to put in.
I find kids play sand is by far the cheapest, and I know that if it’s ok for kids it should be fine for the tank, however, as mentioned it also requires the most washing too as it is that fine it turns to dust in the bag easier.

Bibianca4

Feeder Fish
Mar 2, 2021
Regular aquarium sand is fine or pool filter sand. Provide a little hideout for the eel to encourage less sand play.
Hi! Thank you for your answer. But I was wondering why do you say less sand play? I thought that eels liked to burrow themselves?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi! Thank you for your answer. But I was wondering why do you say less sand play? I thought that eels liked to burrow themselves?
Depends on the type of sand. Small eels can get roughed up easier. Sensitive to treatment if you have to treat them. That’s all.

Reactions: Bibianca4
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store