Suggestions for 100 gallon

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
Howdy!

In the next few months I will be getting a 5ft 100 gallon tank. I'm exploring multiple stocking options and would like to run some ideas by the experienced folks here.

Option 1:

- Red spot severum
- EBA
- 4 geophagus red heads
- small group of Columbian tetras

Is this too much? Would these fish coexist long term in a 5ft tank?

This will be my first "large" tank, and I am new to cichlids.

Thank you!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
In my opinion I would change out the Geos for pictus cats. This way you only have two cichlids trying to divvy up the space.

Reactions: Zanzag and Ash02

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
In my opinion I would change out the Geos for pictus cats. This way you only have two cichlids trying to divvy up the space.
I do like the look of pictus cats. Would they need anything special in terms of food? Also, do you think geos would work if I left out the EBA?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I do like the look of pictus cats. Would they need anything special in terms of food? Also, do you think geos would work if I left out the EBA?
I feed my cats this

That may work, my thinking is the EBA is more of a lower tank inhabitant. While the Sev is more mid to upper.
If I was doing Geos I would have them be the only cichlids. Using two different types of tetras and maybe Hatchet fish or a Pink Tailed Chalceus for the upper levels.

Reactions: Niki_up and Ash02

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'd say it likely depends on the severum. If you wanted to do sevs and some geos, maybe consider some smaller geos like bolivian rams, cupid cichlids, or guianacara. Even then it may not work though. The sevs I've kept in the past are hit and miss. I've had a male and a female that wouldn't hurt a fly and would get along with anything. The male I have currently though can be a PITA. Some he gets along with quite well (I've got him with some CA Heterospila and bichirs right now) and then some he can't stand (other severums, angels, acaras, etc)

Reactions: Ash02

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I don't have experience with EBA but my regular blues hang towards the bottom. A few eba, a nice school of columbian tetra, and the geos would make an impressive tank without the sev.

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
I'd say it likely depends on the severum. If you wanted to do sevs and some geos, maybe consider some smaller geos like bolivian rams, cupid cichlids, or guianacara. Even then it may not work though. The sevs I've kept in the past are hit and miss. I've had a male and a female that wouldn't hurt a fly and would get along with anything. The male I have currently though can be a PITA. Some he gets along with quite well (I've got him with some CA Heterospila and bichirs right now) and then some he can't stand (other severums, angels, acaras, etc)
The severum is the kind of the main attraction for me. If I subbed Bolivian Rams for the Geo's, how many would be appropriate?

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Personally, I’d drop the EBA acara.
They jump outa tanks and I just prefer the natural colored ones.

I think one severum and red heads would be awesome and mine have never bothered each other.
I’ve kept severum a with redheads, Cupido, satanoperca, hecklii- no problems-
What’s the width? 18” maybe look for rotkiel- they stay a little smaller.

I’d prolly go with 10-12 Colombian tetras- the blue and reds? They look like bulldogs when they are larger

Reactions: Ash02

Ash02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2019
Texas
Personally, I’d drop the EBA acara.
They jump outa tanks and I just prefer the natural colored ones.

I think one severum and red heads would be awesome and mine have never bothered each other.
I’ve kept severum a with redheads, Cupido, satanoperca, hecklii- no problems-
What’s the width? 18” maybe look for rotkiel- they stay a little smaller.

I’d prolly go with 10-12 Colombian tetras- the blue and reds? They look like bulldogs when they are larger
The width is 18". I do really like the rotkiels. In my original stocking list, I went with red spot because I was thinking all those fish would look best on dark substrate. Would the rotkiels be okay in a setup like that or will they darken up too much?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store