Suggestions for beginner plants

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
For Christmas i got some little suction cup pods to put plants in inside the fish tank. Never done plants before. I'm thinking of using colored glass beads inside the pods if there's some simple plants that can still grow in them. Any suggestions would be great.ph 8.2 fish are green terrors giant danios and pictus cats. I've guy 4 pods and was thinking a bamboo in one and maybe a sword in one but again know nothing about plants in a tank yet. Thanksfor any advice or suggestions.
Ps my light is for planted tanksand the tank is adjacent to a window so it gets indirect daylight all day, no direct sun though.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
For Christmas i got some little suction cup pods to put plants in inside the fish tank. Never done plants before. I'm thinking of using colored glass beads inside the pods if there's some simple plants that can still grow in them. Any suggestions would be great.ph 8.2 fish are green terrors giant danios and pictus cats. I've guy 4 pods and was thinking a bamboo in one and maybe a sword in one but again know nothing about plants in a tank yet. Thanksfor any advice or suggestions.
Ps my light is for planted tanksand the tank is adjacent to a window so it gets indirect daylight all day, no direct sun though.
Anubius and Java Fern would be my recommendation. Swords are heavy root feeders and do well growing in substrate ime.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You might be able to grow a Cryptocorne wendtii variant in that small glass bowl kit that you got for Christmas.

It may be difficult to get larger plants or those with lots of roots to grow well since the plant bowls are only 2.4 " high x 2.4" round.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since you're near a window, they may also be good starters for tropical terrestrial plants like Pothos, Philodendron or ???????, that eat up nitrate like a sponge.
By the time the roots overwhelm and spill out over the sides of the pods you may already be tired of the colored baubles, and detritus that collect around them.
IMG_6714.jpeg
Philodendron above

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I like the idea of nitrate sponges, when you say tropical terrestrial would that mean open top tank? I'm sure I will soon tire of the "colored bauble" aspect, it's a concession to having young kids and keeping them excited about my hobby. In a couple years I'll likely go more natural, but also liked the pod idea after reading about so many uprooted plants from the fish inhabitants of others.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I do love the look of plants growing out the top but at this stage I like the closed lid contained tank. I've had the occasional jumper before that was dried up on the floor and try to avoid that option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store