Suggestions for big loach species

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Helping friend with a southeast asian monster tank, he currently just has a giant gourami and tinfoil barbs in it. He would like to stick to southeast asia in terms of future tank mates. Not sure how big the tank is exactly, but from what I can see, all I can say is more than adequate. Any large loaches or other bottom feeders he can safely have with everything?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I think your best bet for figuring out the tank gallons is taking the depth, width, and length measurements and post them up before people start suggesting fish for you.
I’m not sure on the tank requirements for a GG but I do know they get large and require more than 180g (though I’m not positive on their requirement for tank size)

maybe 12 Volt Man 12 Volt Man could help as he has one named Charlie that is gigantic, or esoxlucius esoxlucius might be able to help as he has one (I forget his name) that he pets like a puppy

Reactions: RD. and esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When my GG and tinfoil barbs were 3" long my 180g looked huge, "more than adequate", as you say.

However, trust me, that changes very very quickly. I don't know what the actual size of your friends tank is but before we can responsibly help you any further it would be beneficial if we knew how many gallons and the footprint of his current tank.

This is my 360g by the way, and I now consider it too small. A 500g would have been better.

IMG_20210804_214809.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The tinfoils he has are around 6 inches and the gourami is about a foot long and the tank looks roomy, just for reference, I'll try to get an exact measurement soon

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
None of those fish will bother loaches but probably best to go for the larger growing ones such as clowns or the royals if you can get hold of them or the more boisterous ones such as eos but that may not be exactly region exact. Alternative of course are a number of catfish varieties.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big do eos get? I was under the impression they only got 4 inches or so, which could be bite size.
Would the large tiger loaches work? I know they are aggressive but definitely good size wise. Or the classic clown loach.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Clown loach isn't exactly a small loach, and they are great in groups. If I was looking for a large loach I would go with the royal clowns Leptobotia elongata. They really fit the bill. The other option though not a true loach I really like high fin banded loaches. Tank size will really help this conversation. The tiger botia suggestion is a good one as well

1631298860053.png

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
He’s asking about my tank as he’s pretty insistent on me getting loaches lol, growing out in a 180 but am moving up to a 3 by 6 350 after Christmas.

Reactions: Deadeye

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Clown loach isn't exactly a small loach, and they are great in groups. If I was looking for a large loach I would go with the royal clowns Leptobotia elongata. They really fit the bill. The other option though not a true loach I really like high fin banded loaches. Tank size will really help this conversation. The tiger botia suggestion is a good one as well

View attachment 1472583
I’ve had my eye on royal clowns, I think that would be an awesome species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store