Sump for Standard 180 gal

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Hello all. This will be my first foray into a sump for my tank. Tank is not drilled and is already stocked. Going to post my proposed idea and materials that I would like to buy below. I currently have 2 FX5s heavily seeded with Matrix and bio rings. This may be enough filtration but i would like a sump to always have seeded bio media sitting in its flow to set up a new tank. Also would enable me to pull an FX5 if i jump on a setup that presents itself. On top of that I am overly curious and I know that I will have multiple sumps at some point in the future. I need to gain some experience with them. I would love some feedback on this!

Going to baffle a 20 gallon long aquarium

Thinking about an Eshopps HOB overflow box (1000 or 1200?)

Biohome Maxi Ultimate & poly fil for filtration

Need suggestions on a quiet underwater pump to put into the sump (not overly concerned with huge turnover as I have 2 FX5s and a big Koralia in there) I am more concerned with noise...

Suggested hosing and nozzle for return flow?

Check valve or safety measure to prevent flooding in the event of an outage?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If the tanks not drilled then a sump is not a good idea. Learn how to drill the tank and do it the right way the first time. Hob overflow boxes are a flood waiting to happen. They are also very expensive for a halfway decent one that flows enough for that size aquarium. I would research herbie and bean animal drains if you want a silent setup. A large dc return pump run on low paired with large plumping will get the most out of your pump. I would also use as large as a sump as you can fit under your stand. A 40 breeder would be as small as I would go for a 180.

Reactions: tlindsey and A&A

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
If the tanks not drilled then a sump is not a good idea. Learn how to drill the tank and do it the right way the first time. Hob overflow boxes are a flood waiting to happen. They are also very expensive for a halfway decent one that flows enough for that size aquarium. I would research herbie and bean animal drains if you want a silent setup. A large dc return pump run on low paired with large plumping will get the most out of your pump. I would also use as large as a sump as you can fit under your stand. A 40 breeder would be as small as I would go for a 180.
I appreciate the input. Sounds like I am better off just adding another canister.... I would absolutely drill for future setups. What is the main issue that leads to a flood with HOB overflows? Return pump failure?

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Air bubbles and losing siphon the other main conern with HOB overflows?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Hob overflows rely on a syphon to start back up. If the syphon is broken then the return pump will flood the main aquarium. A return pump failure cannot cause a flood.

Reactions: A&A

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used overflow boxes and drilled tanks, and both worked well, although I've been more comfortable when tanks are drilled.
As stated above, if bubbles build up in the U-tubes (siphons) problems can occur.
I was always very vigilant with them, checking each sometimes twice per day.
1610575636648.png
The U-Tube above is 1 1/4" inner diameter.
Because my latest tank is made tempered glass, it is un-drillable, so to id in flow, I an experimenting with the type overflow in the link below
DIY overflow
It has been working flawlessly for about 2 weeks.
For use as a sole overflow, I believe a much larger bore model or 2 would be needed.
Although if I was using a U-tube siphon, I would also make and add one or two of these as insurance.
As far as a silent submersible pump, I've added a Syncra Pro, Sicce 1500 GPH pump to my 180 gal back in July 2020, and found it to be the most silent pump I have ever used.
77C2BDEB-65C0-4E04-89A9-C27666CEB1E5_1_201_a.jpeg
This is the flow I'm returning to the tank, below at about 3 ft of head.
A8BB33B2-B057-4E29-B39A-41816059CD03_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: A&A and tlindsey

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Anyone have any experience with a CPR Aquatics overflow box with an aqua lifter? These seem to be more on the expensive side but maybe have engineered out the possibility for loss of siphon?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have also used the CPR overflow.
It needs have a separate pump (usually provided) to suck the air out of the overflow chamber that inevitably builds up to maintain siphon, .
The one I had, I bought used, so a pump was not included, I used the venturi of a powerhead to suck out the air.
Below is a pic
1610648436894.png
1610648587140.png

Reactions: tlindsey

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Air bubbles and losing siphon the other main conern with HOB overflows?
I've used these HOB overflows before and if your return pump is sized correctly with 5X (or more) turnover per hour, it will also push water through the U-tubes fast enough to blow bubbles out of them. I've had the bubble problem and I just upgraded my return pump and it solved the issue.

One other thing to note, most of these HOB overflows have adjustable heights so you can control the waterlevel in the display tank. If you're only using a 20gal sump on a 180gal display tank, you can put the overflow box slightly lower in the display tank and then if the syphon ever breaks in the overflow box, the 20gal sump will dump into your display tank and just fill it to the brim but not over the top.

So there are still ways to prevent floods with these HOB overflows. Didn't see these mentioned in previous posts so I thought I'd chime in.

I think they are still a good option if you're not comfortable with drilling your tank.

Reactions: tlindsey and A&A

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
I've used these HOB overflows before and if your return pump is sized correctly with 5X (or more) turnover per hour, it will also push water through the U-tubes fast enough to blow bubbles out of them. I've had the bubble problem and I just upgraded my return pump and it solved the issue.

One other thing to note, most of these HOB overflows have adjustable heights so you can control the waterlevel in the display tank. If you're only using a 20gal sump on a 180gal display tank, you can put the overflow box slightly lower in the display tank and then if the syphon ever breaks in the overflow box, the 20gal sump will dump into your display tank and just fill it to the brim but not over the top.

So there are still ways to prevent floods with these HOB overflows. Didn't see these mentioned in previous posts so I thought I'd chime in.

I think they are still a good option if you're not comfortable with drilling your tank.
Thank you for the info! Still kicking around different ideas. Next question.... Flexible hose? PVC? Or both?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store