Sump for tank with Oscar cichlid. Pipe size

Nailroth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
Sweden
Hi im planning on getting a tank large enough to house a group of Oscars or a mix of Oscars and other similar size SA cichlids. Stock is not planned other then it's going to be oscars. They are the reason i got into fish keeping but have so far not been able to house or afford a tank large enough for them these past 10 years.
Sump size is also not determened as that will come once i have the tank and i can see how large of a sump i can fit under it.

The pump is going to be a 8000-10000 liters pump. Probably going for the 10000 model as the pump has a controller for flow control. Bigger is better as i can always lower the flow if it gets to strong.
The output is going to be a tube probably 38mm as it's the max the pump allows but might be 32mm aswell depending on what the pond store has in stock when i go to buy it.
Now to help i need. What size pipe should i use for the overflow? According to my research the bigger the pipe the louder it gets so i would like as small pipe as possible but large enough to handle the flow so it won't overflow the tank.

Thanks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I usually use 1.5" to 2" (38mm-50mm) for out flow pipe, anything smaller is (IMO) to easy to plug up and overflow the tank to the floor if plugged, for my medium to large cichlid tanks, especially when some rogue cichlid decides to tear the place up leading to something like below.... this happened over night, and because it was 1.5" PVC, gave me enough leeway to catch in time

Reactions: tlindsey

Nailroth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
Sweden
Will 1.5" be large enough for the flow? if so ill probably go with that. Is it worth drilling holes to the pipe for a weir? Thought of doing so to be able to add a lid to reduce the sound as i saw it on a video that it will reduce the sound or will it just cause it to plug up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store