Sump Question

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
I want to experiment with building a sump. Unfortunately, none of my tanks are drilled or plumbed for sumps. Can I put a submersible pump in the tank to send water to the sump and a pump at the opposite end of the sump to return the water to the tank?

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
I want to experiment with building a sump. Unfortunately, none of my tanks are drilled or plumbed for sumps. Can I put a submersible pump in the tank to send water to the sump and a pump at the opposite end of the sump to return the water to the tank?
You really probably wouldn't even need a pump just a gravity hose should work. Just like when you are doing water changes, just return it to the sump. If you want something a little more permanent you can always look at getting an overflow box which would allow you to create what you are looking to do without possibly having the hose slip out and the need to drill.

Reactions: Cichlid savage II

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In a word....NO. To achieve what you are proposing you'd need both pumps pumping exactly the same rate of water 24/7. The fact that you'd have head height to contend with on your sump pump compared to no restriction at all on your tank pump would mean that even with variable speed pumps you'd be constantly tweaking their speed. And what if one packs in just leaving the other one running! It's just not feasible.

If you have a sump the most effective way is to have one pump in your sump pumping water up. Then the water in your display tank gravity feeds back down to your sump. Having a drilled tank to start off with always helps with conventional sump systems.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
In a word....NO. To achieve what you are proposing you'd need both pumps pumping exactly the same rate of water 24/7. The fact that you'd have head height to contend with on your sump pump compared to no restriction at all on your tank pump would mean that even with variable speed pumps you'd be constantly tweaking their speed. And what if one packs in just leaving the other one running! It's just not feasible.

If you have a sump the most effective way is to have one pump in your sump pumping water up. Then the water in your display tank gravity feeds back down to your sump. Having a drilled tank to start off with always helps with conventional sump systems.
could easily just make a diy pvc overflow

Reactions: Cichlid savage II

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
You really probably wouldn't even need a pump just a gravity hose should work. Just like when you are doing water changes, just return it to the sump. If you want something a little more permanent you can always look at getting an overflow box which would allow you to create what you are looking to do without possibly having the hose slip out and the need to drill.
Could I use PVC pipe with 90 degree elbows to rest over the rail of the tank and then some hose into the sump?
could easily just make a diy pvc overflow
This seems like a great idea!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
An overhead or "dump" filter is the way to go: Basically a pump in the tank pushes water to a container on top of the tank and the water "dumps" back into the tank via gravity.

I have them on most of my large tanks. An actual sump, a rubbermaid bin, a decorative planter or just about anything that holds water can work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store