Sump questions

hazler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
Thank you everyone for your detailed replies.

I'm thinking the best option is to simply cut and move the baffles. There are obviously many ways to do it but setting up a 2nd return or using k1 etc I just feel is excessive for this fish and there isn't really a need for "future proofing" etc. This tank should home her for a couple years before I build another tank in which I'll probably buy a new sump and turn it marine.

But I think I'll remove the short baffles and shorten the first chamber's width and essentially have mech filtration in one, bio in the 2nd with chemical and return pump in the 3rd.

Do you think it's worth agitating the water in the bio chamber to increase flow?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC

I'm thinking the best option is to simply cut and move the baffles. There are obviously many ways to do it but setting up a 2nd return or using k1 etc I just feel is excessive for this fish and there isn't really a need for "future proofing" etc. This tank should home her for a couple years before I build another tank in which I'll probably buy a new sump and turn it marine.

But I think I'll remove the short baffles and shorten the first chamber's width and essentially have mech filtration in one, bio in the 2nd with chemical and return pump in the 3rd.

Do you think it's worth agitating the water in the bio chamber to increase flow?
If you remove the short baffling the entire water volume should move more easily through the sump.
I don’t think you would need to add anything to stir the water in this area.

The only reason to do so would be if you used K1 or similar media.

gasser

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Oklahoma

keep us updated on your progress. I’d like to see what you come up with. I think re doing the baffles will give you the best and most simple solution. In the end it will be easier to work on and maintain.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
If it were me I would consider just running the sump how it is. There are extra and unnecessary baffles but since this is your first sump you might want to just set it up then make changes down the road after you have some experience with sumps. You might find use for some of the baffles that you would initially plan on removing.

I would not spend the money on bio-balls for using as submersed media. Bio balls really shine when used in a trickle filter configuration but are not at their optimal when used as submersed media.

Sintered glass balls, ceramic rings or just lava rock in a mesh bag placed in the sump on top of an air stone makes for very effective bio media.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
A lot of us don't use baffles at all. I use poret coarse foam to make separate sections for plants or settling/return sections and increased bio but even that isn't really needed. I do it in case I need to put a fish in the sump for some reason

Reactions: Backfromthedead

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I never use baffling unless its already there, most sumps for me are just old tanks. I find baffling restricts flow, creates dead spots, where mulm accumulates, and the compartments get in my way during maintenance.
Simply hanging filter socks on the end where tank water enters, or using Poret foam for mechanical under the flow, and putting biomedia in mesh bags and tossing them on the sump floor works for me, I run sumps as full as can be run, so all media is always submerged.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG-G and celebrist
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store